Show me your mount!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if it needs to be sealed as the foam is typically rated 90+% absorption-resistant. But I figured it would serve as a protective shell (the foam feels fairly fragile), primer layer for paint, and also a surface for the adhesive strips I'm using to attach the foam to the gopro's backdoor (ever try to stick tape on foam?).

I used a 50/50 mix of aquaseal and cotol, maybe even 40/60; lots of cotol to thin out the goop and make it easily spreadable. I used a flexible rubber spatula to "paint" the aquaseal over the foam and scrape off the excess. The thin layer doesn't make an appreciable difference on the block's buoyancy.

Just received my head mount that I planned to use for general hiking, video capture etc etc. Ohh my... what a horrible little contraption... I am sooo sooo lucky that I got to try it many moons before I will jump in the water. Here is my 2 cents on it.

#1 Headbands are elastic. They mimic ace bandage to the fullest. You put the thing on and your immediate thought is ... ok that is not so bad except that in about 5 seconds it starts squeezing and squeezing and squeezing. Now this is not my first rodeo so I loosened all the straps and just put camera on top of my head only to find out that after wearing it for about 30 seconds it seems like someone placed a 20 lbs child on my shoulders. In camera's defense I do have a pinched nerve in my back.

#2 Camera strap+mask actually and quite surprisingly do not in any way impede each other. I did notice that you can not conceivably tilt the camera up because of how strap works so I added a little connector piece that came with my handlebar mount. That allowed me to tilt camera properly but it changed fulcrum point to press connector plate just on the right spot on my forehead and caused a headache just after seconds of wearing it. Mask squeeze was almost unbearable and after putting it on and off I figured out why. Combination of my soft strap and or hard mask strap (of which I have plenty between all of my masks) and the elastic puts just a little too much pressure on the head causing discomfort.

#3 Camera does not tend to sit in one place. As I was walking around my house it shifted all the time and felt slightly wobbly.

In conclusion all of the above would not be as bad if it was not for elastic bands. I think I may play around with possibly different straps or something of that nature.

Update: RIP to the hard foam float, may you enjoy your new life in Indonesia, or endlessly circling the pacific garbage gyre. Lesson learned: veclro isn't the best choice for this application, use something permanent instead. I'm getting some 3M VHB acrylic bonding tape, which will go straight onto the backdoor.

Ooops! Bummer.

I made some floats Saturday & took them diving yesterday. I'll do a full DIY post over in my 3D rig thread & just summarize here:

I basically made two 4" cubes, with a hole in the middle to slide over my strobe arms, and painted them with plastidip. I brought them into the house to cure/dry & it really stunk up the place (a new Christmas tree hid the smell a little) but they were plenty strong.

You'll laugh when you see the pictures but they worked well. The rig was maybe a pound or two positive on the surface and almost neutral at depth---I'd let go and it would just hang there. It was a joy to work with under water---even single handed---with less additional surface swim drag than I expected.

I thought I'd need additional floats, but either I misjudged the bouyancy of the camera housing and lights or the website bouyancy utility I was using was calculating based on fresh water instead of salt.

You'll laugh when you see the pictures but they worked well. The rig was maybe a pound or two positive on the surface and almost neutral at depth---I'd let go and it would just hang there.

Looking forward to the report! I'm surprised to hear that there's an appreciable buoyancy swing at depth for the hard foam. Are you using 6+lb/ft^2?

THis??

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355355427533.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355355427533.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,873

Back
Top Bottom