Showing up in mobility scooter/wheelchair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Newly *visibly* disabled and fiancé wants to dive on our honeymoon (Bimini/Nassau) - if I show up and say I’m fine once I’m in the water will they still let me go down? I do have a doctors’ letter saying a need to gear up in the water from when I didn’t “look” disabled.

My limitations are walking/standing so a sport I can do horizontally is da bomb! Been swimming since I was 18mo old and certified in 2003 if that matters.

Call ahead.

Can you independently or with limited help bet yourself onto the boat, or into the water? If so, I know of at least a few dive ops in other areas that would accommodate you but would appreciate the notice. If you need to be lifted from your wheelchair they may not, though I know of at least 1 op that is equipped with a lift just for divers like that(nowhere exciting unfortunately).

A few years ago, I did a liveaboard trip in the Maldives where one of the guests, who was part of a group of Belgian divers from the same dive club, could not walk and mobility on land was constrained to a wheelchair. In the water, he wore a monofin but, with the aid of some sort of arm ‘fins’, used only his arms for propulsion.

I also know an active diver with back issues an requires assistance gearing up just prior to entry into the water, as well as assistance removing dive gear just prior to exit from the water.

Newly *visibly* disabled and fiancé wants to dive on our honeymoon (Bimini/Nassau) - if I show up and say I’m fine once I’m in the water will they still let me go down? I do have a doctors’ letter saying a need to gear up in the water from when I didn’t “look” disabled.

My limitations are walking/standing so a sport I can do horizontally is da bomb! Been swimming since I was 18mo old and certified in 2003 if that matters.
Call dive-charters ahead of time, and explain your situation. See if they're okay with that.

I'm not an operator myself, but if I received such a call, I'd have a few questions. "How much diving experience do you have? How many dives in the last year? What kind of assistance do you require?" If you have a bunch of recent dive-experience, and don't require an extraordinary amount of assistance, I'd maybe be okay with that. It may also depend on the conditions as well, for example, I'd perhaps have some safety concerns if there was a current.

Whether the charter/shop/operator would be okay with that is another matter. You could be turned down over legitimate safety or liability concerns. They may simply not be able to offer the assistance you require. They may lack space or ramps for a wheelchair. They may also be ignorant, and reject you for ignorant reasons.

And if one rejects you, call the next on the list. That said, try to get CONFIRMATION, perhaps even written confirmation (an email, text-message, etc).

I think just showing up would be a really bad idea. You need to call and probably email ahead of time to make sure they can provide the kind of assistance you need.

All boat diving. I would not have let you on my boat, but the situation was very different.

Call ahead. Explain carefully.

I think just showing up would be a really bad idea. You need to call and probably email ahead of time to make sure they can provide the kind of assistance you need.
I really don’t need anything beyond a place to park while we’re our on the boat, that’s the issue - I look far less capable than I am rolling up 🤣😂

All boat diving. I would not have let you on my boat, but the situation was very different.

Call ahead. Explain carefully.
Because of worries about damaging the boat? I don’t need it on board, just to get to the dive shop.

A few years ago, I did a liveaboard trip in the Maldives where one of the guests, who was part of a group of Belgian divers from the same dive club, could not walk and mobility on land was constrained to a wheelchair. In the water, he wore a monofin but, with the aid of some sort of arm ‘fins’, used only his arms for propulsion.

I also know an active diver with back issues a requires assistance gearing up just prior to entry into the water, as well as assistance removing dive gear just prior to exit from the water.
Yes, your last paragraph is how I have done it since 2005 when I had my spinal fusion.

Because of worries about damaging the boat? I don’t need it on board, just to get to the dive shop.
Nope, we dove in very rough places. All divers had to be capable of climbing back on the boat fully kitted, in case they got tossed off the ladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom