Question Shuttle to Megamart. Cab to south end. Am I complicating things?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am arriving to the island next month(yeah!). Usually my husband and I walk past Diego's to catch a taxi. This vacation, it will just be myself with my sister joining midweek. My plan is to do some shopping at Megamart(covering dinner, breakfast and lunch), unpack, sit on beach/by pool and go to bed early after getting up at O' dark thirty to travel. Followed up by more comprehensive shopping the following day after enjoying dinner in town. So here is my plan; please let me know if I am making things more complicated: Instead of schlepping luggage past roundabout, I am thinking of taking a shuttle. Drop off at Barracuda since it is across from Megamart. Haul my luggage to Megamart(hoping they still have desk where I can drop off bags), shop and catch cab to Residencias Reef condo. My husband thinks I am overthinking this strategy. Any suggestions? Not interested in dealing with a rental car. Thanks in advance or any suggestions.

Mega (and Chedraui) require customers to check any bags (backpacks, tote bags, etc.) they bring in, so there is definitely a place to check things. I have no idea how accommodating they would be for your luggage. I guess that depends on what you have. Personally, I don’t know how to pack light, so I wouldn’t be able to make your plan work. It doesn’t sound unworkable, but that depends on how much luggage you have and how many bags of groceries you will have. Remember that you will have to bring grocery bags or buy reusable ones at Mega. No more plastic bags.

I would do what you are planning except go to Mega, get a taxi in front of
Mega (a Taxi stand is at North entrance doors of Mega), load my bags into taxi, have them wait (get taxi number before leaving), shop and load taxi with groceries go to Residents Reef, tip well.

edit: added the taxi stand is at North entrance doors of Mega

@divingjd , a couple of years ago, I was able to leave my luggage at check in counter, but not sure about their current policy. Trust me, I don't know how to pack light either. @NDL_Diver , I was wondering about hiring a taxi and having them to babysit my luggage while shopping. I have no clue of what an adequate tip would be. Any suggestions?
There is a place in town that will store your luggage for a decent price. Certainly good to know in the future when in that Purgatory zone of checking out and heading to airport for later departures.

The fare from MEGA to RR should be
Base Fare: $170 peso to RR
Supermarket fee: $8 p
Wait Fee: $140p per hour (figure 30 min at 70p)
So 170 + 8 + 70 = $148
So $200 p would be fare (20%)

I would get a shuttle or cab by Diego's to the place you are staying, drop bags, have a drink, and then go shopping. Why complicate things and try to lug travel bags around with your Mega shopping? Sounds like way too much hassle.

Besides, shopping with a nice buzz is fun.

Either way works, pay a taxi to hold your bags while you shop, leave your bags at service desk while you shop or go all the way to RR and then taxi back

I am arriving to the island next month(yeah!). Usually my husband and I walk past Diego's to catch a taxi. This vacation, it will just be myself with my sister joining midweek. My plan is to do some shopping at Megamart(covering dinner, breakfast and lunch), unpack, sit on beach/by pool and go to bed early after getting up at O' dark thirty to travel. Followed up by more comprehensive shopping the following day after enjoying dinner in town. So here is my plan; please let me know if I am making things more complicated: Instead of schlepping luggage past roundabout, I am thinking of taking a shuttle. Drop off at Barracuda since it is across from Megamart. Haul my luggage to Megamart(hoping they still have desk where I can drop off bags), shop and catch cab to Residencias Reef condo. My husband thinks I am overthinking this strategy. Any suggestions? Not interested in dealing with a rental car. Thanks in advance or any suggestions.
Yes, you are complicating things; whether it is worth doing it this way vs. taking the shuttle to your resort and then mounting a shopping expedition is the question. It wouldn't be for me, but traveling light is not in our vocabulary and I don't want to handle our mountain of equipaje any more than I have to. If you just have a couple of bags, then maybe.

I'll just add that after dealing with airports and flights most of the day, when I get to Cozumel I am very eager to get the traveling over with. If'n t'were me, I would get myself and my luggage to my hotel first and move into my room, have a beer, and then do a beer/grocery run. As a matter of fact, that is indeed my arrival day routine.

You just described my first day of every trip to Coz.

Alas, the disadvantage of staying far south, at RR is the idea of going back into town after unpacking and getting settled in. Usually my husband and I are fine with catching a cab near Diego's, but back in Feb, the sidewalks were a mess and the walk further. I am really feeling my age and recently dealt with some hideous sciatica a couple of months ago. I think that I will have to cave in an go the shuttle route since traveling solo. Lots of great suggestions here. It looks like my choices are either having a cab driver babysit my luggage or facing the look of dread from security check in as I ascend the escalator at mega Mart. To be continued. Thanks SB'ers for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom