Shuttles from airport - any changes due to COVID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The prices listed for the van are per person; are the private prices per vehicle?
In my experience, taxi fares are always for the entire cab, to a maximum of 4 people in the cab and they must get on and off at the same location.

In my experience, taxi fares are always for the entire cab, to a maximum of 4 people in the cab and they must get on and off at the same location.
Yes, but I was asking about the prices posted in the airport. The collectivo prices are per person and the private auto and van prices are up there with them with no indication that they don't mean the same thing. From the amounts I assume they mean per vehicle.

Here was the site I used.

https://www.olympus-tours.com

I booked it on its own. It wasn't part of a package or thru the hotel or anything.

No hassles from anyone.

Just so everyone is aware and not knocking anyone. I "booked" a one way from the Cozumel Airport to Iberostar which is Zone 4 for two adults - their quoted price was $48us for the two adults in a shared van. That same trip if you just buy the ticket at the counter is 110 pesos per person or 220 total and at the wacked exchange rate they charge, it'd be $13.33. Using the real exchange rate would make it $11.00.

For a private car, their price was $64.00 but if you just walk up to the counter, it's 425 pesos which is $25.75us at their rates or $21.25 real rates......

Walk right past the time share folks, politely say no thank you - the last windows on the left and right are where you buy tickets for the shuttle buses - there is hardly anyone in line - you will not get into a van or private car any faster if you buy the ticket ahead of time. Pay in cash, preferably pesos - if you want to know what the going exchange rate at the money stores is to compare it to the airport (you're probably getting ripped off), call me - I'll be happy to check for you.

Now, I see what business I'm going to get into down here............ OMG!! Now my house will probably get shot up by the travel tour mafia....

So, was that shared van any less crowded than the regular shuttle would have been, and was the capacity for luggage per person about the same? I'll hazard a guess that the private auto is just a regular taxi; my party usually brings so much equipaje that it probably wouldn't be an option for us.

The only window for selling transport tix that I know of is to the right when I emerge from Customs; is there another one?

I'm pretty sure that most folks pay in US$ for transport from the airport; I know I do even though I use the ATM and pesos for most of my expenses once I am on the island. Any disparity in the exchange rate at that point in my trip would be down in the noise. Getting "ripped off" is relative; I try not to sweat the small stuff.

I'll hazard a guess that the private auto is just a regular taxi; my party usually brings so much equipaje that it probably wouldn't be an option for us.

The private van I booked was a VW van. Definitely different than the vans I would normally get in from the ticket counter.

Sounds like @ChuckP might have a more economical method.

All I did was walk outside and they were waiting for me with a clipboard. She told me to go over to the right side of where they sell the outside drinks and the VW pulled up there and loaded all our stuff.

That's good to know. Will they book transportation to another, closer in, hotel (Blue Angel)? Did the taxi union give them any grief? How did you contact them?

I bet they just acted as a middle agent and booked a private colectivo from the airport.

The only window for selling transport tix that I know of is to the right when I emerge from Customs; is there another one?

Is it even possible to go left as you emerge from customs? I don't remember anything in that direction that was available to the public. If one assumes the turn right is the only path then the colectivo window is the last window on the left. I always buy my tickets in pesos which is one reason I make sure to leave the island with plenty of pesos. I don't want to be under pressure to get to an ATM or cambio soon after arriving. I have 1500 pesos in my desk right now and my gf probably has some in her purse. A change in exchange rate could be in my disfavor but that too is lost in the noise.

Cozumel Shuttle and Flex Shuttle - the booths are right across from one another - maybe, they rotate companies with flights, I dunno, but there is two companies, two counters.

All I did was walk outside and they were waiting for me with a clipboard. She told me to go over to the right side of where they sell the outside drinks and the VW pulled up there and loaded all our stuff.

I bet they just acted as a middle agent and booked a private colectivo from the airport.

There was a really weird post on Facebook the other day - a company advertising shuttles for the mainland and also from the passenger ferry pier to hotels here - a private shuttle outside of the taxis and airport shuttles. I point blank asked a cab driver I know about it and he said "sneaky people know they aren't supposed to do that" - so I dunno anymore. Have the rules changed? Maybe there were no rules before and it was bully power. When the taxi drivers get angry about something, the literally just shut it down so I really find it hard to believe they are just "allowing" it to happen.

I don't want to get in the middle of anyone's issues - the airport shuttle driver needs to eat as does the cab drivers - I use shuttles at the airport and cabs in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom