side mount armadillo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just sling your deco gas like normal?

The Armadillo has been a great piece of kit for me. I have used it both in caves and boat diving. No problem with giant strides, you might need to wiggle to connect the cylinders onto the butt hooks but not a biggee. As JIm C stated if the exit is narrow you may need to turn sideways to get past some railing bars. Sidemount may offer a lower verticle profile but you can find that you have a wider sideways profile. The advantage here is that side mount can be disconnected and reconnected very easily for forward pushing (small spaces). As for getting on or off a boat you can always off the tanks and hand them to a crew member or connect them to a leash. Another option with the Armadillo is that you can use it as a single tank rig by running tank straps in through the back bands. Its a very flexible unit

Thank you all I will be diving the rig 2nd week in June on Hattaras trip, I will let you all know how it turns out.
Eric

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a staging leash exactly? Pictures would be very helpful.

A length of rope with some loops on it. You tie one end of the rope to a handy place on the boat and throw the loops into the water. You clip your stages, scooters and other crap off to the rope so you do not have to enter and exit the water with all that junk attached to you.

GDI:
Another option with the Armadillo is that you can use it as a single tank rig by running tank straps in through the back bands. Its a very flexible unit
When you do this, does the tanks not 'roll' since there is no solid backing to keep it in place like with a STA? I don't know so just asking.

Meng_Tze:
When you do this, does the tanks not 'roll' since there is no solid backing to keep it in place like with a STA? I don't know so just asking.

Actually it's pretty solid. It feels about the same as a tank on a transpac. The Armadillo is a nice system, so is the Nomad.

BTW did you get your Nomad yet Meng? I have my rig pretty much streamlined and I should be going to Ginnie to hover through the catacombs in a few weeks. Interested??

Cheers :D

Mike

Oh I do have a Nomad and some stuff. dove it in a pool and will be diving it 'controlled' this thursday. After that, well, let's just say... the catacombs seem a bit too big for a sidemount? :D

just a sidenote, but nobody here in Jax allows double tanks, so you can't dive them in any configuration

make sure you check with your boat that they do allow two tanks in the water with you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom