Side Scan Sonar, Magnetometer & ROV Models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you decide on the Klein, take a look at Marine Sonic. Bluefin uses that on their 9"vehicles with magnificent results, and so does Hydroid with their REMUS 100.

I may be spoiled but after working with their dual frequency 900/1800kHz, seems to me the Klein is from the Flintstones era. It has to be towed isn't it?

My work is not hunting for treasures but I imagine the hunting procedure is the same regardless of the target. Like others have said, there are records available of the surveys made, and there are thruckloads of them. Once you find an area of interest from the available data you need to zero in with a narrow swath and some decent resolution.

The marinesonics is not of the same calibur as the Klein or EdgeTech, the 2 top sidescan sonar systems on the market today. The only reason marinesonics were used on Bluefin and Hydroid small AUV's is because they were the ONLY ones at the time with a small low power side scan system, and these small AUV's needed systems that did not suck a lot of power, since they did not have a lot of onboard power. Navies and other users have always been unhappy with the marinesonics because of low range performance and messy side lobes creating zebra stripped images. Today now that both Klein with their new Syatem 3500 and Edgetech have introduced small low power high performance systrems, there will be far fewer Marinsonics syustems used and many with existing Marinsonics will be retrofitted with the higher performance versions from Klein and EdgeTech.

thanks kag good to know... the group I work with must have only old Klein units they tow because it seems so much work for such crappy results. I take UUv's and get the surveys done a lot faster with less support and my results are greatly superior, haven't had any zebra stripped images. I sometimes introduce visible noise when tracking the vehicle but I have control of where/when to do it.

If you are correct I can't wait until they put these better ones in UUV's , because I sure don't care for the tow bodies.

Before dumping lots of cash into any instrument, check out high resolution surveys done by non-military government and academic groups. There isn’t much of the US coast in diveable and navigable range that hasn’t been mapped already by equipment mere mortals could never afford. .

Great tip! Where would you start looking for these surveys? I live in SC. Thanks very much.

Thanks, Akimbo, for the tip. I've started searching USGA and hope to get to Coastal Carolina U. to start digging there first for research.

Back
Top Bottom