Sidemount training????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all about the right tool for the right job. Here's a pic of me in my sidemount rebreather.

Here's a profile shot.

View attachment 153726

Nice pics.. Don`t mean to hijack the thread, but I need to ask.. How do you find your HOG drysuitÉ. Anything about it you don`t likeÉ. I`m in the market for a new drysuit and will appreciate any comments.. Thanks.

What's with the bubbling?

It's an SCR. No bubbling means it's not working.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2013 at 10:30 AM ----------

Nice pics.. Don`t mean to hijack the thread, but I need to ask.. How do you find your HOG drysuitÉ. Anything about it you don`t likeÉ. I`m in the market for a new drysuit and will appreciate any comments.. Thanks.

I like my HOG suit. The only issue I've had with it was the seals between the boots and legs coming apart. I reinforced them myself and haven't had issues since. This is not unique to the HOG suit though. I've had that issue with other suits with the hard sole boots. The main thing I dislike about the HOG suit is it's so baggy. I ordered the size I needed for my measurements height and shoulder width wise but I can fit two of me in the legs and torso.

I'm diving a Seac dry suit now and love it. It fits extremely well and is even more affordable. I've been diving it since January with about 20-30 dives a month and haven't had any issues with it at all. I even managed to drop 8 lbs of weight going from the HOG suit to the Seac suit.

---
I like my HOG suit. The only issue I've had with it was the seals between the boots and legs coming apart. I reinforced them myself and haven't had issues since. This is not unique to the HOG suit though. I've had that issue with other suits with the hard sole boots. The main thing I dislike about the HOG suit is it's so baggy. I ordered the size I needed for my measurements height and shoulder width wise but I can fit two of me in the legs and torso.

I'm diving a Seac dry suit now and love it. It fits extremely well and is even more affordable. I've been diving it since January with about 20-30 dives a month and haven't had any issues with it at all. I even managed to drop 8 lbs of weight going from the HOG suit to the Seac suit.

Thanks a lot for your answer. That's exactly what I needed.

I fumbled for about 6 months then relented and did a 3-4 hr work shop that covered basics.
It just helped me personally to get the hose routing, trim set, tank positioning, light placement, etc.
It offered me a starting point to build upon.

Do you have to take a class?
No you could just dive around a mentoring SM diver.
I have learned a ton from most others I dive with.
I also recently did a two day mentorship in FL in SM cave passage with a great mentor.
My rig was tweaked a bit and found the good balanced approach I have been looking for.

It is a journey and it takes a while to get that comfortable stance.
I would say that at first I thought it was awesome and I was doing ok but ARGH what I did not know!
I approach SM as the ballet of diving where trim and optimal tank / weight / RMV / blend together to find a sweet spot.
It has taken a bit but I am moving in the right direction.
2010 was when I committed to learning to SM and gain mastery.
It is a work in progress and I still dive other configurations but some physical limitations will come into pay at any time I fear and SM will be the only viable option.

Good luck I have loved to the training, learning, growing as a diver into the SM configuration.

CamG

What are the advantages and disadvantages of sidemount for open water/non-penetration dives?

You can find lots of threads that cover that topic in the Sidemount forum.
Here are a few anyways:
Logistics
Comfort
Streamlining

I can see how this might be more comfortable depending on how they are attached to the harness and how well the harness is fitted. What dose a typical sidemount harness look like? At what points on the harness are you attaching the tanks? I do not see how it is more streamlined, you are still pushing the same mass through the water, it is just in a different location. I am not sure what you mean by logistics. How would this improve the logistics? I have also heard that this provides better trim but with the tanks having the ability to move around more then backmount I would think the opposite would be true.

To answer one of the original Questions.. Is there a need for Side Mount training for open water type diving?

SM Formal Training No.

SM Mentoring Yes. I spent about 40 minutes in the Ocean getting some pointers from an experienced SM Diver, practiced a bit then 2 Weeks later was diving SM on the SS President Coolidge.

[h=1][/h]

Back
Top Bottom