sidemounting trimix BOs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So to date the only time I have sidemounted a really high helium mix (10/70) for CCR BO is when I was wearing a backmount CCR. So even with full tanks the tails wanted to float up and go out of trim. Not really a big deal with a backmounted CCR.

Well now in SM CCR I want the bottles in trim. Putting lead on LP85s to hold the tails down just seems wrong. But so does front clipping them - which I cant really do that easily because I have suit gas and a suit heater underneath. Light canisters and scrubber heater are on my butt of the SMS 75 already.

I could switch to hp100s which would have heavier tails in theory (never tried them with 10/70 in them). Or hp130s which volume wise might be more desire-able but the thought of carrying them to sump7 in a system makes me groan. Or put 3lbs on the cam bands of the lp85s. Or maybe something else I am not thinking of. What other options do I have?

I'm just being anal, and trying for minimum cross sectional area in high flow, and not wanting to scrape up the ceiling.

10/70 basically makes any cylinder stand on its head

@rjack321 you can put a long ish bungee on a second worm gear towards the bottom of the bottom and clip to your crotch strap d-ring. Leave it clipped off to the neck clip during donning and then move the clip to the crotch strap when you need it pulled down. About the only way to tame that if you don't want to put lead on it *dumb idea IMO*, and can't put a sliding d-ring or something on your waist strap because of argon bottle

@rjack321 you can put a long ish bungee on a second worm gear towards the bottom of the bottom and clip to your crotch strap d-ring. Leave it clipped off to the neck clip during donning and then move the clip to the crotch strap when you need it pulled down. About the only way to tame that if you don't want to put lead on it *dumb idea IMO*, and can't put a sliding d-ring or something on your waist strap because of argon bottle
right the rear retainer "Neto style" bungie thing, I forgot about those. I might try it but I doubt its going to be nice to work with. On the left it will have to run over my 1L carbon suit gas bottle, on the right a rear retainer bungie would have to run over my suit heater canister.

BTW I have 16lbs in a dive right weight "plate" on my back.
2lbs on the left shoulder to offset the right side valve on the 2L o2 bottle
and 5-6lbs on my belt (they are homemade and I don't think I filled the mould perfectly to 3lbs)
So moving those 3lb chunks to the cylinder cam bands is super easy since its basically at the same head to foot level just lateral. Not like I am super-manning steel cylinders anyway.
24lbs total lead and no I am not overweighted its a cf200 suit and weezle extreme+ underneath.

@rjack321 if it's no difference to you lead wise that may be the easier option, just makes the bottles more annoying during dry travel
In this particular case...
The trimix bottles and deco gases get hauled in separately and staged at the final sump.
Then swim in the first 6 sumps on OC air.
Gear up and down to ???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom