Sidney Dive Expo/Stan Waterman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asmackofjellyfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I paid $15 to go to this event this afternoon/evening. The show itself was extremely dissappointing and I was initially somewhat upset about wasting the entry fee. I almost didn't hang around to see Stan Waterman.....BUT man I am glad I did.

In case you don't know, Stan Waterman is a distinguished underwater filmographer who has been filming underwater since the 1950s. He presented some of his more recent documentaries taken during trips to the tropics, with some absolutely fantastic life on them. He usually includes a little bit about where he stays and life on the boats.

I know it is short notice, but if anyone gets the opportunity to read this before tomorrow morning, and can get out there, he is going to be presenting another show at 10am. Tonights show lasted for about 2 hours.

Just came back from Sidney and I have to say it was a sad state. Very few booths, even fewer people. Whites packed up their booth last night due to the lack of attendance. For an island that is home to some of the best diving in the world, it wasn't reflected here. One positive note, the odds of winning a draw will be that much better :wink:

Whites packed up their booth last night due to the lack of attendance.
Well there's part of the problem right there. Shame on Whites for not at least sticking it out and doing the best they could. For a home-grown company to leave in the middle of a show like that is very dissappointing:shakehead:

I agree with the Stan Waterman review. He is a great speaker. He came to Calgary for the Alberta Underwater Council show "Divescapes" a few years ago and he is a regular at the Boston Sea Rovers clinic and always packs 'em in there.

It's unusual that the Sidney show was not well attended as I thought I heard that last year's show was a hit and brought in a lot of people.

Well there's part of the problem right there. Shame on Whites for not at least sticking it out and doing the best they could. For a home-grown company to leave in the middle of a show like that is very dissappointing:shakehead:

No kidding.

It's unusual that the Sidney show was not well attended as I thought I heard that last year's show was a hit and brought in a lot of people.

Last year's show was pretty good. Lots of stores, manufacturers, specials on local charter boats and interesting presentations. I'm not sure how the attendance was last year, but it was a well put together show from what I saw. I guess they didn't generate enough interest from exhibitors or divers.

I'll need someone from the area to verify this but apparently Sidney Dive and Surf (organizer of the event) either went tits up or changed hands since the last show. If so that would explain the lack of organization that seemed to be going on with this event. Which would account for the low numbers, no web presence, etc.

I was hoping to talk to the VP of the Alberta Underwater Council tonight about the show as he attended, but apparently he's now in God's Pocket and out of contact so I haven't heard anything more about it than what I've read here.

I'll need someone from the area to verify this but apparently Sidney Dive and Surf (organizer of the event) either went tits up or changed hands since the last show. If so that would explain the lack of organization that seemed to be going on with this event. Which would account for the low numbers, no web presence, etc.

I was hoping to talk to the VP of the Alberta Underwater Council tonight about the show as he attended, but apparently he's now in God's Pocket and out of contact so I haven't heard anything more about it than what I've read here.
Yeah, Dan closed his store then reopened. The other store (across the road from Dan) closed shortly thereafter. Then Dan reopened somewhere else, I heard maybe West Saanich?

A lack of enthusiasm would seem to me to be a reasonable explanation.

Dan did relocate to his home for a few months, but then reopened in West Sidney at the BC Dive College Building (at the east end of the airport, near Slegg Lumber). He then promptly sold the store and the charter boat (Fathom Five) off to a young couple named Lee and Laura. I've been in a few times for fills, and they seem pretty eager. Their website appears to be current if you are looking for more information on them.

Back
Top Bottom