Sierra Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Spele0

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This probably applies to other scooters as well. I need to do some work on mine but the top portion will not separate for the motor section. It's always been a tight fit but now, I can't get them apart at all. I've tried a larger handle to grip the top, a clamp type base to hold it secure, almost everything imaginable without causing permanent damage.
Has anyone else had this problem or figured out a solution?

This probably applies to other scooters as well. I need to do some work on mine but the top portion will not separate for the motor section. It's always been a tight fit but now, I can't get them apart at all. I've tried a larger handle to grip the top, a clamp type base to hold it secure, almost everything imaginable without causing permanent damage.
Has anyone else had this problem or figured out a solution?

Was probably assembled when it was warmer than it is now and it's sucked itself in.
The hull is aluminum, get a hair drier or heat gun and move it around uniformly along the tube. Increased pressure as the temperature increases may help it pop off. Get it to where it is warm to the touch all the way around and then lightly tap the top of it with the palm of your hand and see if the jarring motion gets it to free.

@Jona Silverstein may have some other ideas.

I've used a rubber mallet to gently tap on the shroud while a buddy held the body. This only happened one time after new o-rings.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already tried the mallet suggestion to no avail. I'm really leery about trying the heating advice. As we know from the aluminum tank rules, heating them makes the unsafe and fragile. I haven't been about to find info regarding the critical temp not to exceed but I don't want to destroy the Sierra, only open it,

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already tried the mallet suggestion to no avail. I'm really leery about trying the heating advice. As we know from the aluminum tank rules, heating them makes the unsafe and fragile. I haven't been about to find info regarding the critical temp not to exceed but I don't want to destroy the Sierra, only open it,

we aren't talking about roasting them, even aluminum tanks don't care about getting "baked" at oven temperatures and we are only talking about getting something warm enough to increase pressure inside the hull. Getting it up to 110 or so won't bother anything in there

Hair dryer wont get it hot enough to damage the metal. Another alternative is to set it outside in the sun for a few hours or if you're somewhere cold set it on a heater duct for a few hours. Spray some Silicone lube around the end a minute or two before trying to pull apart to help lube the O-ring.

Was probably assembled when it was warmer than it is now and it's sucked itself in.
The hull is aluminum, get a hair drier or heat gun and move it around uniformly along the tube. Increased pressure as the temperature increases may help it pop off. Get it to where it is warm to the touch all the way around and then lightly tap the top of it with the palm of your hand and see if the jarring motion gets it to free.

@Jona Silverstein may have some other ideas.

So your tube is stuck to the tail. Well that's a good thing, That means you have an excellent shaft seal, You just need some assistance pulling the scooter apart. This can often happen when you open the scooter on a hot boat or outside then close it back up, Go diving etc, then come home to a nice cold house and the gas inside decreases in pressure causing a vacuum to form inside the tube. Theres a few ways you can warm up that gas inside the tube to get it apart. First option is well. Stik it outside in the sun for an hour or two, this will warm everything up and build up some pressure while also softening the orings and any grease that is on them. The other option is to fill your bathtub with hot water and let it side in there.

Back
Top Bottom