Silent World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaviolator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
By Jacques-Yves Cousteau is a book that I never got around to reading over the years. Don't make the same mistake! A great book that really brings the reader into what the early years were like.

DaleC, sorry I missed your original post, great review! I just find it odd that this book never really gets mentioned these days in regards to great dive books...

By Jacques-Yves Cousteau is a book that I never got around to reading over the years. Don't make the same mistake! A great book that really brings the reader into what the early years were like.

I remember back in the late 60's that I did a book report on The Silent World. Wanted to scuba dive even before the book. Grew up watching Sea Hunt and All the Cousteau specials. I even took French in high school but it didn't really stick. I'm much better with Spanish.

When I'm teaching I ask my students if they know who invented scuba and if they have ever heard of Sea Hunt. Show them some of the old gear as well. Nothing like a history lesson at the start of scuba class.

Even with all the modern marvels that we have today it's always a great feeling to see and hear those new folks talk about discovering diving.

Back
Top Bottom