Question Silicon on Regulator Hose Connections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turn your head more slowly with longer hoses for no yank or pull

opposite the distal end hoses and regs have sloppy specification
so rather than shred or slice orings on the way in I use just saliva

Just as one data point, I had not one but two 22" braided hoses fail on my recent trip out to Cocos Island. Both were evidently leaking from the regulator end swage with bubbles appearing all along the hose. The one hadn't been used for a year, and the back up longer than that, if ever. I've never had an issue with them before, but I'm replacing at least the secondary hoses with rubber ones. I believe they were DGX generics, but I don't remember for sure.

Lubricant is not needed for the hose end O-rings.

As to braided or not, I like them and have no issues with them for many years now that would make me want to go back to heavy rubber hoses, especially for travel.

As to hose life, all hoses should be replaced depending upon inspection of condition and use (cave/overhead/deco vs recreational) and certainly at 5 years. Hoses are cheap.

As long as we're on the topic, can anyone give first person data on the newer superflex LP hoses? I was attracted to them and bought a couple, but after seeing how easily they flex at the first stage end (kinking right at the swage), I'm afraid they'll deteriorate quickly. I could go back to hose protectors, but they then link at the end if the protector.
They stiffen up and are more resistant to kinking when pressurized. But I'm worried that they'll fail early from out-of-sight storage kinks.

Back
Top Bottom