Similan Island mis-Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we are being unfair to the OP, because some of the points mentioned are known problems to South Siam. It maybe his first thread, but he does have a point.

You get what you pay for, and South Siam certainly is an attractive option to some, and good value for money.

whitehead:
But to be honest your comments would apply to 75% of all dive operations in Thailand (I did not say Phuket take note) and probably 75% worldwide in similar countries to Thailand.

exactly- I have been diving in Phuket with a differnt operator through Warm Water Divers and had the same situation on a very similar trip. And in Tahiti, and in Bali, and in Cozumel- and the Keys - need I go on. Sounds like the poster was actually inexperienced diving with differnt operations and maybe is used to one particular sort of diving.
It is the divers responsibily to be trained to the standards of the dive- I am sure we have all heard " no, I haven't been diving in six years, but I remember what to do- I don;t need a refresher course."

I recently read the responses to my initial post, and began to feel bad for writing a harsh review. But then I re-read my text, and it’s matter-of-factual and accurate. You are certainly free to criticize my criticism, but I call them like I see them. This might have been my first discussion thread with scubaboard, but I only recently found the web site. And no, I’m not associated with a South Siam competitor. And yes, I did mention that the Similan diving was fabulous. I certainly harbor no ill-will toward South Siam, nor to my critics. It’s only an observation that others might find useful when comparison shopping for dive operators.

It’s true that generally in Thailand, you have to lower your expectations for efficiency in nearly all human endeavors, which is the realm within which my temporarily lost bag falls. Mai pen rai, krup. However, I draw the line at safety issues.

I read a comment from another diver and it summed up my opinion, so will repeat it here. When diving in South East Asia always expect the organisation and operation to be sloppy, that way when things go right you will be pleasantly suprised and a lot less stressed.

Dear naucorid,

Please don't be upset by your review. I think you brought few very important points and as an agent working with more that 14 liveaboard companies, I received one more confirmation why we are not using certain companies anymore.

I have to agree and disagree with Whitehead; level of services in Thailand is different in general from those in other parts of the world, but this is our responsibility towards our clients to make sure that their expectations are met. We receive complains and always forward it to our operators and demand actions, this is the only way for us to retain our customers and expand our clientele.

Regarding divers jumping in the water without following proper procedures... I've seen it here and there and most boat managers do the briefings, explaining boat procedures, but those on a liveaboard are qualified divers and should know better. I would never jump in the water with my buddy without making sure we have a dive plan and his equipment works. Again it is a diver's and operator's responsibility to ensure all divers are safe to enter water. Note that on a boat you are "covered" by boat insurance which is not extended to your equipment and your life, to protect those you have to buy your own insurance.

We will always be happy to receive feedback from divers and those who took a liveaboard trips; positive or negative-that is the only way to improve services.

Thanks again and good luck

I agree with dorsetboy, it's not their job to baby certified divers. They are responsible for doing their own buddy checks. As for your gear, I'd be pissed off too but mistakes happen. I wouldn't write off the operation based on that.

Asia is much different than north america regarding safety and not just diving wise. When I was working in korea, a guy showed up to plug me into the cable tv network which was basically just a series of wires running the entire top to bottom of the apt complex. I lived on the 5th floor of my apartment building. To hook me up, he opened the large windows on my balcony, jumped up on the rail and balanced himself as he attached the cable....with no safety harness!!!!! If he fell, there would be no injury. No broken legs. He would be dead. People think differently there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom