Similan Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ellie w

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all!

I'm flying to Phuket in early Jan and hoping to join a liveaboard for 3-5 days in the Similans- does anyone have any recommendations for a good trip on a medium budget? (up to £500 but pref less)

I've done a fair amount of recreational dives (c.70) so would prefer not to be on a boat full of OW! Am nitrox certified so would prefer a boat with this option...any suggestions welcomed!

Also- would it be better to book out there in terms of price?

Thanks for looking,
Ellie

Hi all!

I'm flying to Phuket in early Jan and hoping to join a liveaboard for 3-5 days in the Similans- does anyone have any recommendations for a good trip on a medium budget? (up to £500 but pref less)

I've done a fair amount of recreational dives (c.70) so would prefer not to be on a boat full of OW! Am nitrox certified so would prefer a boat with this option...any suggestions welcomed!

Also- would it be better to book out there in terms of price?

Thanks for looking,
Ellie

Hi Ellie, and welcome to SB!

First of all, the good news is that there are several liveaboards in your price range doing mainly 4d/4n trips in the Similans, and they DO have nitrox available. The less good news is that your budget isn't actually mid-price, but more like budget-price, meaning that you will not find a boat that has private bathrooms (which is one dominant feature in mid-priced boats) within your budget range.

The other thing is that when you travel on the lower-priced boats, the divers tend to have a lower average experience level. You may have some very experienced divers aboard a budget class boat, but you are also likely to have a lot of less experienced divers, simply because that price range and those features appeal to younger travelers who don't have the money to 'upgrade'. When divers gain years (of age and experience) they often have more disposable income, so those more mid-priced boats have a higher average experience level of divers. I hope that makes sense. Obviously, there is always a mix on our boats (not everybody learns to dive at a young age, for example), but that is the trend.

At any rate, and this is probably the most important thing for you to keep in mind, the operator will make a real effort to put you in a group of divers who have a similar level of experience and not with a group of newbies, so you really don't have to worry all that much.

Hi Ellie,

I'm also new to this forum...I can say you'll have to spend your budget (and some) to get a 5-day 5-night liveaboard to the Similans but you can also go for a 3-day 2-night option which will obviously be cheaper and within your price range. Yes it would be shared bathrooms, but don't let that put you off...

It shouldn't make any difference if you book at home or when here in Thailand as the price will be the same, but if you book before you come you can start to arrange what else you're going to do while in Thailand.

I can give you some options if you want to get in touch by PM.

Ellie,

Welcome to Scuba Board...You are going to Enjoy It!
:colours:

Last February/March my daughter and I dove the Similans...one of the most fantastical trip we have ever had. We ventured on a wooden Chinese Junk style of boat (really cool craft but paid a little extra for the uniqueness of the Junk). However, our trip 7-Day was a little bit longer than your original trip parameters of 3-5 days. I recommend you trying to stay longer on a liveaboard…3-5 days; IMO is too short for such a magical place to dive. Also while there are day trips to some of the Similan Islands, you spend all of your time getting there and coming back…liveaboard is definitely the way to see this underwater Garden of Eden.

Cheers…:wavey:

~Michael~

Hi, Ellie!

Not sure if they fit your price range completely, but I would recommend the Colona Vi out of Phuket (Dive the World). My wife and I loved diving with them. The food was absolutely incredible for the price and the crew great. Small rooms but a very nice common area and places to rest. You can also sleep on the top deck when the weather is nice. We are diving them again next year and bringing my sis and her husband along.

Good luck in your search!

Cheers!

I'll say what I've always said..........it's easier and safer to go through an agent. A good agent knows the boats and wouldn't recommend one that's not up to their standards. If you go via websites with fancy pictures, or prices, it can be hit-and-miss. In my opinion, a Similan live-aboard isn't something you'll do often, so I wouldn't leave the choice of boat to chance. Just my opinion :wink:

Merry Christmas everyone :D
Karin

PS: Quero, I haven't left Scubaboard - I've just been busy settling in over here :wink: I hope you're well x

PS: Quero, I haven't left Scubaboard - I've just been busy settling in over here :wink: I hope you're well x

Hi Karin! We miss you! Happy Holidays to you! I'm busy with students and divers (yay!) and happy (as I generally am). Glad to know you're still planning to be active on SB. Keep coming to the Thailand forum (you know us so well), and I'll follow your posts about your new home base to learn as much as I can about it! Maybe I can send you a diver or two even!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom