Similan or Manado for benginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jules_s13

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I passed my open water about a year ago and i haven't dived since then.

At the moment, i would like to take a short dive trip to either Manado or the Similans. Which would be the more appropriate destination for a beginner (considering that i have not dived for a year), in terms of safety / currents etc.

Would any one be able to help me on this?

Cheers,
Julian

jules_s13:
Hi all,

At the moment, i would like to take a short dive trip to either Manado or the Similans. Which would be the more appropriate destination for a beginner (considering that i have not dived for a year), in terms of safety / currents etc.

Cheers,
Julian

Both should be ok as long as you go with a professional operator... I have seen lots of newbies in both locations

The diving in Manado is very easy: in general you do drift dives along the walls; if the current changes direction, you just go along and the boat will pick you at the end. Make sure your buoyancy is ok though.

Can only tell you about the Similans. The diving here should be ok for you. Some of the divesites can have strong currents, but if the guide and captain work oki together, you should only be diving with the current. Vertical currents rarely ever happen at the Similans.

Whatever you decide: make a refresher dive before the trip, especially if you're on a liveaboard and your first dive is a refresher, you're 'spoiling' the rest of the da's diving.

The Similans are a great location for the beginner diver. There are a variety of dives for every level. Shallow to 25m plus, swim throughs, a chance for Mantas and Whale Sharks. 3-5 day live-a-board trips are common starting in Nov throught to May.

I havent dived Manardo but it is on my must do next year list :)

jules_s13:
Hi all,

Cheers,
Julian

I'm new here - your post has prompted me to register!

The Similan Islands are a stunning destination. My husband and I completed our PADI o/w on a 4 day liveaboard in the Similans in January. We went on the Queen Scuba out of Khao Lak which has a new boat (with a huge dive deck), helpful thai crew and experienced staff.
The diving in Similans and Surins was out of this world. Location-wise, we were spoiled rotten for our first trip! We had some sheltered and fairly shallow (10m) bays to do our early dives, progressing to beautiful sites like East of Eden and Ko Bon and ended up at Richelieu Rock where there were some very strong currents. As new divers, although some of it was pretty challenging, it didn't overwhelm us! I think if you go with a good operation you'll be fine. We dived in small groups according to experience, each group had an instructor. The Captain assessed the currents for safety before a dive group jumped in, and adjusted the schedule as needed. Safety was the highest priority (as it should be!) and we had a really good trip. So good we are considering going back next year!

moraygirl:
I'm new here - your post has prompted me to register!

The Similan Islands are a stunning destination. My husband and I completed our PADI o/w on a 4 day liveaboard in the Similans in January. We went on the Queen Scuba out of Khao Lak which has a new boat (with a huge dive deck), helpful thai crew and experienced staff.
The diving in Similans and Surins was out of this world. Location-wise, we were spoiled rotten for our first trip! We had some sheltered and fairly shallow (10m) bays to do our early dives, progressing to beautiful sites like East of Eden and Ko Bon and ended up at Richelieu Rock where there were some very strong currents. As new divers, although some of it was pretty challenging, it didn't overwhelm us! I think if you go with a good operation you'll be fine. We dived in small groups according to experience, each group had an instructor. The Captain assessed the currents for safety before a dive group jumped in, and adjusted the schedule as needed. Safety was the highest priority (as it should be!) and we had a really good trip. So good we are considering going back next year![/
QUOTE]

Glad you had a good trip on Queen Scuba moraygirl. We had a lot of our customers on that boat last season and had 100% positive feedback. Very good staff who made for fun trips. Of course now they've gone and put the price up quite a bit for next season...

Generally speaking, Similan Islands and other sites dived on these liveboards are OK for all divers, IF the boat and crew can look after you. Some of the sites like Elephant Head, Koh Tachai, Boulder City (to name but a few) can have pretty strong currents and are not shallow dives. Be aware that it is not all easy drift diving along a pretty reef, though if you dive at East of Eden, Breakfast Bend or Koh Torinla (Surin), you get that too.

A couple of suggestions for less experienced divers:

If you didn't dive for a while, do a refresher before the liveaboard trip. It will make your trip safer and more enjoyable. Preferably do more than just a few skills in the pool. Go on an easy day trip with 2 dives or at least a beach dive or 2. Actually this goes for all divers. You want to be sure you are ready for the trip and have confidence in your diving ability. if possible try to use the same gear for the refresher and liveaboard, so you also know your equipment and are sure everything works fine.

If you are Open Water certified, you can do the Advanced Open Water course on the boat. I think all boats offer this. The charge is somewhere from 4 - 6,000 Baht depending on the boat. This ensures that you do some extra theory and get proper supervision from an instructor. The liveaboard may well be your first deep dive, night dive and may be the first time you have experienced currents. Use the knowledge of the staff on board to help you. I find that less experienced divers finish a liveaboard trip with vastly improved skills, air consumption and are able to get much more out of their diving from then on. After one liveaboard, you're hooked!

Wishing you all happy diving

jules_s13:
Hi all,

Cheers,
Julian
Both dive locations have similar water temperature is similar and have relatively mild currents. At least at the dive sites I went to. :wink:

I would not really recommend Lembeh Strait in Manado to beginners though. The reason being I have noticed that most divers who have just started diving tend to look out for the big fish... you would not find any big fish at Lembeh Strait and could leave disappointed. Also, it would be muck diving at Lembeh Strait, so poor buoyancy control could adversely affect the visibility. Having said that, Lembeh Strait has some really cool fish (flamboyant cuttlefish, wasp fish, cardinal banggai, etc) that could really get a person amazed with the underwater world.

Go to the Similans, more variety and a lot cheaper than Manado. Save Manado for a later date.

I have not been to the Similans, but just returned from Manado (Sept.-Oct. 2004) and I think that it would be a better choice for beginners.

Several people did their open water certification there and were quite happy with their experience.

Bunaken Island is only 45 minutes from the mainland and Manado City and if you stay on the Island most dive sites are five to ten minutes away and dive operations based on the island return to island after most dives for lunch and a rest. I will be posting a full trip report very soon.

It is more comfortable to be based on an island than on a liveaboard and it is also a lot cheaper.

Alan Wald
California

Alan brings up something to consider aside from the number or size of fish, or current. The fact that you will be more in control of your diving and money in Manado. They are both great locations to dive, and both have good operators, but Manado offers you the option to be able to control your trip better.

Diving Manado you can come and go when you like. Pick the number of days you want. Decide to extend, or take a day off if you feel like a break, as it is all from a land base. You will feel no pressure to dive, or not to dive.

Diving a live-aboard is not cheap and we all have the "feeling" that as the number of days and dives are limited, so we want to make as many as possible - regardless of how our ear or stomach may feel. That kind of self induced pressure, which most everyone feels on a live-aboard, is not a good thing for a beginner.

My personal suggestion. Manado first with the trip designed for your own comfort and the Similans next time when you can feel more comfortable with your diving and can enjoy the live-aboard (and your money) more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom