Similans - Mermaid II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefwalker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone dived from the liveaboard MERMAID II in Phuket, we are considering a Similan islands trip along with their trip down to Min Daeng/Muang and are wondering what the accommodation is like and is the food a mixture of Thai & Western Food, what is the boat like?
Is the diving still good at Hin Daeng/Muang? We heard on this board some months ago that trawlers/net fishermen had destroyed the reefs soft corals and marine life, what is the real situation in recent times?
Thanks - Reefwalker

Hi - We went to Hin daeng and Hin Muang last year and really enjoyed the dives there. Purple soft corals at HinMuang are very beautiful and healthy and the marine life is amazing, especially pelagics: we saw mantas, eagle rays, leopard sharks, many white tips... for HinDaeng, it is true that there was a significant amount of dead coral
Overall: go there and enjoy !
Can't help about Mermaid.
Cheers

Hi,

I posted this on 11/09:

I just got back yesterday from Similan/Richelieu liveaboard. The boat was the Mermaid II, and I can highly recommend it. The boat is set up
for diving convenience. It has a huge dive deck and platform -- very convenient -- and two Zodiacs for incredibly fast
pickups. Other boats I saw had one or none. Most dives were done with the boat dropping us over the site, and the
Zodiacs picking us up after the dive wherever we wanted to surface. There was seldom any need to navigate back to
the boat. And never any surface swims. I never once waited for pick up for more than 30 seconds after surfacing.
Once you’re back on the boat, you don’t touch your equipment, and your tanks are filled by the next dive. The dive
leaders were extremely accommodating and knowledgable. I can’t say enough good things about the trip leader,
Philip. He was always thinking about how to arrange our schedule to hit the dive sites when there were less boats
around, and the conditions were best. Never once was our schedule adjusted for the convenience of the crew and dive
leaders. His dive site briefings were excellent. The atmosphere on the boat was great. The boat itself is big -- one of
the biggest doing the Similans -- and has a wide beam for a spacious feel and a smooth ride. It takes 16 passengers
in 8 berths. There were 14 on my trip. The berths were twin bunk bed style with two rooms(four people) sharing a
toilet/bath. It is at the higher end of the price range -- about 150 USD/day. It’s not white-glove luxury, but I don’t
want that when I dive.

The negatives were few, but there were some.

The food was just adequate. It was a mix of Thai and western, which was fine, but I thought a little more care could
have been taken in its preparation. You will not be wowed by the food, but you will not go away hungry. But there were
insufficient snacks between meals.

The air conditioning system was a bit screwy. The fore berths were a little cold, and aft ones a little warm. Try to get a
berth midship.

There was no photo lab. This didn't effect anyone however, since all of the serious photogs were using digital.

Let me qualify all of this by saying that it was my first liveaboard. Some of my abservations may be tainted by my
lack of experience.

I haven’t commented on the diving. It was great, but for now I’ll just asumme that most of you already know about
the destination, and are most interested in finding a suitable boat.

I would be happy to reply to questions. PM me if you like, but if you have a question whose answer might benefit
others, keep it on the board.

Cheers,

Billfish

Hope this helps. I think I come across as pretty negative on the food, but it really was fine. I'm very particular about food. Everyone else thought it was fine.

I know there has been extensive discussions of tipping elsewhere on the board, but these seem to centre on the Caribbean. Can anyone help with tipping etiquette for liveaboards in Thailand?

cheers
Rosie

we were recommended 5-10% of the trip cost. The strange thing was the only ones that complained about that on the boat were the Americans.....

Jonathan

Now, now, be nice Jonathan :)

Just because we invented it, doesn't mean we have to like it! I think most Americans look forward to a break from tipping when they travel abroad, thus the grumbling.

On the Mermaid II they brought out two tip jars on the last day -- one for the Thai crew, and one for the dive staff. I agree with Jonathan about the amount - 5 to 10 percent. I decided on a figure -- I think about $50US (my trip was $600US) and divided it between the two jars, giving a little more to the dive staff. I then gave addtional smaller tips individually to some of the Thai crew who were especially helpful to me, such as the guy who was in charge of my gear and tank fills, and another guy who took some pictures of me. I think I gave them $10US each. They seemed very happy about this.

Another nice thing to do for the Thai crew is to buy them beers occasionally, during the trip. The dive staff will appreciate this, too.

Cheers,

billfish

I do four or five LB's a year in Thailand and I always tip the same regardless of what I pay for trip - thats 1000 Baht in the crew box and zero for the DMs if they are "western" - if the DMs are local AND have done a good job I will tip them an appropriate amount seperately (but never more than 50 bucks).

I am nice - just get fed up of lectures from waitresses every time I go to the US!

OK sometimes it is difficult for me to remember on day one as tipping is not done in Japan, but those that do lecture normally don't get a tip!

Jonathan

cmdasia - What's your reasoning behind this policy? Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just curious, especially not tipping "western" dive staff. I'd love to hear a good reason why I should tip less!

Jonathan - I've never been lectured, but I've been given dirty looks by waitresses who felt I didn't tip enough. Makes me want to grab the money right back. But I guess you only get the lecture if you forget the tip completely. Oh, and I'm sure you are very nice.

Back
Top Bottom