Similians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey frogfish..
Your post is v interesting as I was just looking at the scubacat website and considering going with them at the end of march. I am ok about the 3 showers and the not so hot food, but cruising ONLY similans???? Their website seems to indicate that they do Ko Bon, tachai and richelieu rock as well. Is it a definite no-no? Did you try to get them to take you there?
If they don't do surin and richelieu then we will have to strike them off the list as it would be a shame to get all the way there and not dive those sites. Had to be a catch as they are relatively cheap...:(

Hi Seaslug

No problem going with Scubacat to Richlieu. They operate 2 boats, well three if you count the transfer boat from tab Lamu. The Scubacat , which is the large dive platform does just stay in the Similans but they have another, I think its called the Scuba Princess, but a re-look at the web site will tell you, goes to Koh Bon, Surin and Richlieu. I had a great time on the Scubacat just in the Similans, first class diving and company. I had already been on a boat around Koh Bon and Richlieu and both those sites are really terrific and well worth getting to. I was on "The Junk" the previous week, last time I looked on their web site www.thejunk.com they were offering trips at a discounted $600. Thats a real bargain, great boat, fantastic crew and food to die for. Which ever you choose have a superb time, I know you will. If you have some time please feel free to check out my gallery from the trip

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290811111

I think you might have to register but its free and I think, although I might be biased, that there is some really good stuff in there. The Harlequin shrimps are from Richlieu, the ribbon eel was at snapper alley, similan No.9 and most of the manta shots are from Elephant head but its as much of a gaurantee as you get in diving that you will see manta at Koh Bon.

Neil

Neil

Thanks for the info which was v helpful. So how do you get to dive Thailand so much when you work in england????

I think you are talking about the Scuba Adventure. The website does say that the MV Scuba Adventure does Surin and Richelieu whilst MV Scubacat is based in Similans. Might be just easier to get on one boat which does both???!

what other liveaboards have you been on which you would recommend?

Thanks for the tip about the Junk - you are right about the USD600 which is absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately their dates in March aren't good for us. :upset:

I'm checking out your pics and the harlequins are brilliant!! what kind of camera do you use?? What I would really kill to see though, is a whale shark...:D

Hi Seaslug, shame you don't fit dates with the junk, that was my reason for transfering from the junk to Scubacat because you can transfer there vitually on any day I was looking to take out another liveaboard, maybe south but none seemed to be going on the right day. The junk just dropped me off on the cat in the Similans. It was my first trip to Thailand but I'll definitely be going back. 43 dives over 14 days. I did check the boat log for the junk and a whale shark was spotted in Richlieu on 12 December 02 although I'm told February/March are better times to see them. I have my own spot for whale sharks and that is south Ari Atoll, Maldives. Been there twice, made 45 dives and have seen 8 whale sharks 1 in 6 dives pretty good hit rate. Going back again on 19th May this year, same time, same place hopefully same results.

If you check out my other album on Maldives there are some shots in there.

I use Sony PC110e digital video in a Light and Motion Housing lit with elite lighting.

I think the adventure does spend time in similans like all the other richlieu going boats. 1st day simlans, 2nd day Surin, Koh bon, 3rd day richlieu 4th day similans but just email them on schedule they are top people and will give you all the info you need quickly. If you want to stay extra days in the similans you can then just dinghy transfer to the Cat, so they can sort of tailor a package for you.

Let me know where you decide. I might just be meeting up with Patrik and Nicky from Scubacat in South Africa this summer. Jay and Kay from The Junk also invited me along on their own holiday when the season end which is to be an exploratory liveabaord to Pulau but I think the dates are going to clash with my Maldives trip. Real shame because I would really like to do it. On both boats I made a lot of friends and have kept in touch .

Take your big fins and enjoy.

Neil

I will try to get into your maldives pics but the site keeps crashing on me for some reason..!!

I've also been told Feb/March/April is the right time to go to the Similans for whale shark spotting, hence.....!! I was in the Maldives last year as well, round about March but there were no whale sharks to be had. ;-0 We met a Japanese instructor there who told us he saw some in October the year before.

You're right about the Adventure, it does do all the sites inclu. Similans. I'll let you know who we decide to go with - and when I get back, how it went!!!

Palau would be fantastic - but I'm saving my pennies for that as it will be expensive. For the moment, apart from Similans, it may be Philippines and Bali for the rest of the year..

Thanks for the tips!

I dived with the Shortcut II in February and had an amazing time. I highly recommend them. You can see their site and schedule: www.highclassadventures.com

I have a ton of pics from my vacation and a movie if you have the bandwidth at: www.rooney.us. Any questions, just let me know.

Kevin

The Jonathan Cruiser because, when I was on it, the sleeping space was quite cramped and the dive deck was miniscule. It was not comfortable. It might be different if they have renovated it but I can't imagine how.
The guys on Ocean Divers' boat are very friendly but professionalism questionable. Professionalism is lacking at High Class Divers too. They use dive guides below Divemaster ranking.
ScubaCat has the death of at least one customer on their hands.
Now the boat I haven't been on is Scandinavian Divers' boat. They seem really professional but the boat is really huge and seems a bit impersonal. For me a liveaboard shouldn't take more than 20 divers, any more and it starts to seem like a cattle car, but that is just my opinion.
The Junk is interesting but I wonder about the number of passengers.
Fantasea and Asian Divers are expensive but nice boats.
Water temperature should be about 28 degrees in the summer.

"Professionalism is lacking at High Class Divers too. They use dive guides below Divemaster ranking."

Unfortunately, I agree with the above statement. Their gears are bad and divemasters just wing it like a backpackcer.

I personally like Sea World in Patong.
http://www.seaworld-phuket.com

diverkim once bubbled...
The Jonathan Cruiser because, when I was on it, the sleeping space was quite cramped and the dive deck was miniscule. It was not comfortable. It might be different if they have renovated it but I can't imagine how.
The guys on Ocean Divers' boat are very friendly but professionalism questionable. Professionalism is lacking at High Class Divers too. They use dive guides below Divemaster ranking.
ScubaCat has the death of at least one customer on their hands.
Now the boat I haven't been on is Scandinavian Divers' boat. They seem really professional but the boat is really huge and seems a bit impersonal. For me a liveaboard shouldn't take more than 20 divers, any more and it starts to seem like a cattle car, but that is just my opinion.
The Junk is interesting but I wonder about the number of passengers.
Fantasea and Asian Divers are expensive but nice boats.
Water temperature should be about 28 degrees in the summer.

i went with scuba cat on scuba adventure and service was very good

without knowing the cause of a death it is not good practice to brag about it it? was it the boats fault, the diver what ?
state the facts not here say! i would no trule out scuba cat on the basis of heresay

Back
Top Bottom