Simple Green cleans up everything?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello

We all use Simple Green for regulator clean up during overhaul. That everyone knows.

But long time ago I read somewhere, that it can also be used as a cleaning solution for diving gear, especially neoprene ones like boots and wetsuit.
Cuz when you are visiting tropical locations like Philippines or Bali or other islands, water there is NOT good in general, and when dozens of ppl use the same washing tank for their gear (exchanging bacteria, pee, sweat etc that their suits are covered with after several days of diving) it turns into mostly swamp smelling water and gives your wet suit and boots that SMELL like some one died inside of it.

I know there are wet suit shampoos, and I use one when I get home after the trip to clean up all my neoprene gear. But during trip it is not always available, and it is also not that cheap as Simple Green.

I remember read somewhere a year or something ago, that you can use Simple Green solution to wash suits, boots, gloves, etc. Just use a plastic garbage bag, put some water with Simple Green and then rinse in clear water. It would help your suit to stay clean and without any odors.

I dont remember where it was, and I cant find it now.

SO is it true? And if yes, what is the proportion of Simple Green to water? How many ml of SG to water litters to do?

Or there is any other ways to at least get rid of smelly and stinky wet suit on the go?

I've used Simple Green on my neoprene: wetsuits, hoods, gloves and especially the boots. Does a good job against that funky smell that can develop.

Simple green is great for dive gear - but you do not need to use Simple Green Crystal- normal simple green will do with a ounce or 2 to large can (such as clean garbage can)-soak and leave for a hour or 2.

Simple Green's the only thing I've ever used on my wetsuits and I don't do a fresh water rinse afterwards.

What could it hurt?

I saw the inventor of the stuff drink it just to make that point.

Well, if Simple Green is good for neoprene, can the same be said for the Simple Green alternative, Blue Gold? I guess I need to look at the MSDS. But, I have been using (diluted) Blue Gold instead of CSG on regulators and I am curious if anyone has used it for exposure suits.

Is thete something wrong with plain old Dettoll?

All this time I have just been using water. I'm surprised that there has not been a spontaneous combustion event.

Best recent post!!! I have been diving for years. I wash my gear but from all of those hot days in cave country has left my under garment smelling like a locker room. So I read this post yesterday and tossed them into washing machine with Simple Green. After drying hanging up, smells great. Thanks!!!!

Is thete something wrong with plain old Dettoll?
Well, the only thing that comes to mind is that the primary active ingredient, chloroxylenol , is considered poisonous and detrimental to fish health. So, if you do use it, thorough rinsing before diving it is probably in order.

Back
Top Bottom