Simple U/W camera setup for family sharing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’d like to find a camera setup that will work well for photos and video that my family can take turns using on an upcoming trip to Bonaire. I’m not sure whether I want to deal with lights, but having the ability to attach a red filter would be a bare minimum. None of us is an experienced underwater photo/videographer, but it would be fun to document our underwater adventures and to occasionally change the way we see and experience the underwater world.

I have considering getting a Divevolk housing for my phone since anyone can operate an iPhone camera and also because it would be nice to have a phone with us while we are out and about on the island (and I’m certainly not going to leave one in the truck while we’re diving), but consensus seems to be that the likelihood that the housing would eventually flood and the phone would be wrecked has dissuaded me from that option.

Considering all of these things, what camera setup would you recommend?

I’d like to find a camera setup that will work well for photos and video that my family can take turns using on an upcoming trip to Bonaire. I’m not sure whether I want to deal with lights, but having the ability to attach a red filter would be a bare minimum. None of us is an experienced underwater photo/videographer, but it would be fun to document our underwater adventures and to occasionally change the way we see and experience the underwater world.

I have considering getting a Divevolk housing for my phone since anyone can operate an iPhone camera and also because it would be nice to have a phone with us while we are out and about on the island (and I’m certainly not going to leave one in the truck while we’re diving), but consensus seems to be that the likelihood that the housing would eventually flood and the phone would be wrecked has dissuaded me from that option.

Considering all of these things, what camera setup would you recommend?
A housing for an older iPhone would be a good option as the iPhone can pretty inexpensive.

I have considered this, but have heard that GoPros leave a LOT to be desired when it comes to still photography.

I believe that is true but I am not an expert on GoPro. What about TG6? Is is a lot more money if you are going to get the strobes/lights, extra lenses but it is a very good camera at very good price.

I use a Divevolk case with and without a light. Ive used it on a dozen or so dives (I also have a full kit which I use most of the time), and been happy to very happy with the results, especially video (but I get good stills too—the limitation is the phone, not the housing). I’m not aware of any failures or floods, and have had no problems. I did buy and return one before getting one for keeps. Check Matias Lego’s reviews on YouTube, if you haven’t done. When I want the light, I use a tray, arm, and video light. I used it on a night dive last night with an iTorch 3800, and while the macro mode isn’t perfect (using a pro max 14), the results were fully satisfactory.

I bought the TG5 to solve a similar problem when my kids were certified a few years back. It was, for me, a great decision. It functioned well as a fairly simple U/W "family photo" camera, but over the years has evolved with the addition of lights lenses, etc., and gives me higher quality photos than I'd get with a Go Pro.

What about a GoPro or TG6?

For really simple just push a button then I would say Go Pro with a red filter. Having lights is also good but also need to spend more for that, then a tray, arms, etc

TG6 takes time to learn settings and how to lock focus for video as Auto Focus can make it wander. Sometimes I use my old Hero 4 for video while I take photos with my TG6. Go Pro cannot do Macro so if you want Macro then TG6.

Thanks, all. I’m leaning towards a TG-6 with a housing and maybe a light to attach to the shoe on top of the housing.

That's a wise choice. You can start barebones, or little more, and expand the system as your needs expand and your budget allows it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom