Since the Seeker has been a recent topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Listen,

I know Udo socially. We took DIRF at the same time last winter... To my knowledge, Udo hasn't even taken a Tech 1 course. He is, however, a DIR evangelist and, to me, knowing him as the context, his letter was more of a rant about/to certain boats and shops that don't see things things the way he does. People don't always agree... it's life.

About Danny Crowel's response to GUE... take it in context. He's got nothing against GUE or the divers they've certified... Why would he? it's business for his boat... It's a red tape game.
When it comes to insurance and lawyers, if some one gets hurt they're going after the deepest poeckets. fact. In the case of a GUE diver, the deepest pockets would be Danny's. He's just covering his own a$$...

There are shops here in NYC that won't accept GUE cards as well for any mixed gas fills or as proof of certification level... In fact, most shops in the NY/upper NJ area that I know of don't. Yes, there are some that do though. So what. NYC has about a thousand everythings... if one shop/boat won't take your card or doesn't see things exactly the way you do, go to the next one that does.

I don't think Udo reads this board, so I won't make claims that he won't respond to. I would, however, be suprised to see him leave Dutch Springs and go out on a boat in the ocean.

Originally posted by jetblast00
About Danny Crowel's response to GUE... take it in context. He's got nothing against GUE or the divers they've certified... Why would he? it's business for his boat.

The fact that he does not accept GUE certification shows he has something against the way GUE does things. Plus, it ain't business for his boat, if he does not accept them.

It's a red tape game.
When it comes to insurance and lawyers, if some one gets hurt they're going after the deepest poeckets. fact. In the case of a GUE diver, the deepest pockets would be Danny's. He's just covering his own ass...

As opposed to the case of a TDI diver? I don't see the difference in who the lawyers will go after. Lawyers are bloodsuckers, they will go after everyone, even people who just happened to be diving on the boat, if they think they can squeeze a penny from them.

If you read this "At this time it would not
only be unwise, but irresponsible for any operator to accept any
GUE certification as they are not an internationally, or for that
matter, nationally recognized agency with merit, credibility or
insurance. "
, that pretty much seems like he has something against GUE and it's divers.

Originally posted by JamesK

The fact that he does not accept GUE certification shows he has something against the way GUE does things. Plus, it ain't business for his boat, if he does not accept them.
Sorry, should have read, "it would be business for his boat"

As opposed to the case of a TDI diver? I don't see the difference in who the lawyers will go after. Lawyers are bloodsuckers, they will go after everyone, even people who just happened to be diving on the boat, if they think they can squeeze a penny from them.

They'll go after the deepest pockest... If Deep Explorers, Inc's are deeper than GUE, they'll go after Deep Explorers, Inc. If TDI's are deeper than Deep Explorers, Inc, they'll go after TDI...

Exactly where have they been accredited besides by themselves online? I'm not saying GUE itself is good, bad, god send, or diplorable... I'm just speaking to the logic behind shops and boats not accepting their card. If I came up with my own agency and told everyone that I was going to train divers would you accept my card?

I'm definately not attempting to ruffle anyone's feathers, but the Seeker is Crowell's boat and if he doesn't want GUE divers, he doesn't have to take them. How long has GUE been training divers? How much experience do you need to be on 230+ wrecks? My understanding of GUE training is tainted as I live about 20 miles from their headquarters.

Where is the GUE place to hang a crowbar?

Cheers

Divesherpa,

I agree with you completely. If he does not want to accept GUE divers, that is his right. I just do not agree with what he is using as part of his excuse, such as lack of insurance, which is untrue. I also do not like how he implies that GUE instructors are incompetent.

jetblast,

The lawyers will go after everyone they think they can get money from, regardless of pocket size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom