Since when did Palau become so convenient to get to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwu123

Registered
Reaction score
Just booked airline tickets for Palau for end of June! So maybe I've been living under a rock for a few years, but since when did it become so easy and relatively affordable to fly to Palau??!!!

Back in 1999, my wife (then-girlfriend) and I made our first trip to Palau via a Japanese tour operation from Tokyo. I've been dreaming of going back, but every few years I'd sample the expensive CO Micronesia island-hopper and then research the obscure charters out of Taiwan or Tokyo .... hence Indonesia has been our go-to destination for the last five years, when the discounted fares on Singapore Air line up, though the day-and-a-half routing from the West Coast was tiresome.

After missing our annual destination dive trip last year, I just started thinking about vacation a few weeks ago, and Indonesia fares were pricey. So just punched Koror into the travel sites on a whim, and what is all this? Affordable fares every day of the week, not just CO, but now there's Delta flights with only one stopover, even the Taiwan route shows up online with Air China? Even CO/UA have more routing options through NRT-GUM as well!

When did all this happen? It's amazing - I just booked tickets for cheaper than I've been paying to get to Bali or Lembeh in recent years, the flights are still long but significantly shorter than getting to Indonesia! Makes a huge difference in the number of diving days, as work prevents my wife and I from taking more than 10-11 days off...

Well, now it's time to find a hotel and dive op, even the hotel choices seem to have expanded as well so gotta do more research (couldn't even find any mention of the hotel we were at last time - the OLD Hotel Nikko that closed when it was haunted by Japanese ghosts).

Can anyone recommend hotels near the major three ops (Sams, Fish'n'Fins, Neco) that have reliable and accessible (prefereably wi-fi) Internet? Meaning not dial-up or pay-per-hour. Sounds like PPR and Sea Passion have good Internet. I've read Palau Royal Resort has wifi for a fee in the "library", but that it can be slow - however, Neco's website says they have free wi-fi at the dive shop, and they're within a short walk of the Palau Royal Resort? Do the other dive shops within walking distance of Palau Royal Resort have Internet access?

Contact Fish 'n Fins and ask them to help you with reservations at the hotel next door to them. I was there last April and it was so convenient to just walk next door in the morning. The hotel was nice (good food, internet service, nice rooms, etc.), the diving and service at Fish 'n Fins was fantastic!

As a dive guide,I work/live/dive Koror Palau a couple of times for over a year.You can stay at any hotel,any where on the island & the dive shops with come get for no charge. As for WiFi all dive shops and major resorts have accesss. Palau Pacific Resort is best,Seapassion(2),Palau Royal Resort(3) but are pricey, I stayed at the Yuri Motel for a year & like it, but I am not a tourist. Diving is the reason to go to Palau so to me everything else is secondary. Go to Krammer's to eat,snorkel Jellyfish Lake,and dive,dive,dive,,,,,Just about everyplace has Internet.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Sorry, just looked at World of Diving's site & realized it didn't include airfare. You can call them & find out what their price would be including air, it's usually better than you can do yourself. Will is the guy our group uses & he rocks.

You also missed the Asiana airlines that gets in at 4am from Seoul....Just booked it for 2012. I been going to Palau for the last 10 years and I have noticed just in the last couple of years the additional carriers. I've dove Sams for years and think they are great. This year I had friends stay at the Sea Passion and it is a great hotel for the price.....I'm down the road at the budget West Plaza!

Scott, I'm not sure if it is the price of the hotel you like or the location nearer Kramers beer and the nearby massage parlor; ) I was one of those at the Sea Passion, which, if you find the shortcut, is only a 5 minute walk from Sam's with a good breakfast included and Sam's folks will pick you up at the dock each morning and drive you back in the afternoon- unless you decide on the 5 minute walk (they have gear storage). I love your schedule Scott! See about joining you in one of those locales.

Scott, I'm not sure if it is the price of the hotel you like or the location nearer Kramers beer and the nearby massage parlor; ) I was one of those at the Sea Passion, which, if you find the shortcut, is only a 5 minute walk from Sam's with a good breakfast included and Sam's folks will pick you up at the dock each morning and drive you back in the afternoon- unless you decide on the 5 minute walk (they have gear storage). I love your schedule Scott! See about joining you in one of those locales.

I do not like to spend an extra $35+ a night which amounts to $400-$500 per stay for a room I spend 10 hours or less in. Plus I never eat breakfast before diving...although they have a nice spread. Now when I go to Indo in Lembeh which is mostly all inclusive resorts i Do Not stay at Two Fishes...I stay at Lembeh Resort and in Raja Ampat I Do Not stay at Kri eco...i stay at Sorido resort....as I always spend a bit more time in my room.

Are you going to Palau next March?

Thinking seriously about it. We will either hit Palau or Lembah. Lynne is a bit nervous about Palau. Thinks she should have 100 dives first. This is a girl who can mountain bike most 30 yr old men into an early grave. She is training for a triathalon for crying out loud. But she is still not real confident about water stuff, being raised in Colorado and never really getting into the ocean till we got married. I'm working on it but she is pretty excited about the muck diving. Hope to see you at one of those places, good diving

Back
Top Bottom