Singapore Airport Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I am flying into Singapore from Japan. So Singapore is my final destination on my main ticket. I have another ticket for Singapore to Manado. We have an eight hour stay in Singapore and would like to get a dayroom at the airport. We do not know how that works with checked luggage and immigration as the hotel is inside the secured area, but we cannot book our checked luggage all the way to Manado. So do we have to go through customs and then recheck our luggage and then go back into the secured area to get to the hotel and if so would we even be able to check our luggage at 1:00 a.m. and be able to take advantage of getting a dayroom (for much needed shower and a little rest)? We hate to spend that 8 hours in the airport when there are dayroom possibilities. We cannot find out how that works if you are changing airlines or airline partners like we are and still get our checked luggage to Silk Air for the next day when we are comning into Singapore in the middle of the night? Has anyone done this??
Thanks for any helpful info on this. This will be our first trip to Indonesia. We will be on the Agressor for a week and then onto Bali for 4 days.

Laine

Laine:
Hi,
I am flying into Singapore from Japan. So Singapore is my final destination on my main ticket. I have another ticket for Singapore to Manado. We have an eight hour stay in Singapore and would like to get a dayroom at the airport. We do not know how that works with checked luggage and immigration as the hotel is inside the secured area, but we cannot book our checked luggage all the way to Manado. So do we have to go through customs and then recheck our luggage and then go back into the secured area to get to the hotel and if so would we even be able to check our luggage at 1:00 a.m. and be able to take advantage of getting a dayroom (for much needed shower and a little rest)? We hate to spend that 8 hours in the airport when there are dayroom possibilities. We cannot find out how that works if you are changing airlines or airline partners like we are and still get our checked luggage to Silk Air for the next day when we are comning into Singapore in the middle of the night? Has anyone done this??
Thanks for any helpful info on this. This will be our first trip to Indonesia. We will be on the Agressor for a week and then onto Bali for 4 days.

Laine

We were able to do something like this coming back from Kota Kinabalu and transiting on to Bali. However, we were using SilkAir and SingaporeAir, so I'm not sure if it's possible if the airlines are unrelated. But the Singapore airport has these amazing transit desks that handle multiple airlines and managed the checking of our bags remotely. I would try an e-mail to Silkair. I had a problem with a ticket purchased from their website on a credit card that was later compromised. I e-mailed them about the issue and they responded very promptly.

Telephone Silk Air and ask them. I imagine that you will be able to check the luggage. The day rooms are available at the hotel which is actually part of the airport. So even if you have to pick up your luggage it should be simple to trolley it to the hotel. Another approach would be to email Singapore Airport information. It is the best airport I have been through, very well organised. I am sure they will be able to sort it out.

Plan A: try to do what reubencahn and others have suggested. If it doesn't work, you need...
Plan B: book an outside hotel.

I have been in this situation at Changi (SIN) airport with a very late inbound flight from KUL to a morning outbound flight to NRT and onwards to N. America, and I was NOT able to make use of the dayroom inside the airport because of it. The difficulty is that in order to claim baggage to recheck it, you need to go through immigration (into Singapore), but to get to the dayroom in the transit area, you need a boarding pass for your ongoing flight in order to get back through immigration (out of Singapore). Obviously you can't get a bording pass if the check-in counter is not open, and it may not be, as you will be arriving very late. What I had to do was to book a local hotel outside of the airport. You can either take all your stuff with you to the local hotel or you can store it at the left luggage service. I took mine because I really wanted the sleep and didn't like the idea of spending the time to both drop off and pick up my bags at left luggage. I stayed at the Meridien for less than $100 USD, which is quite a lot for a few hours sleep and a shower, but to me it was worth it because of the long trip I had ahead of me.

8 hrs in Changi airport is not bad - you can :
- Just walk around in the mall, free internet, nice and not expensive food, rooftop swimming pool and gym - cost you few bucks
- Transit hotel for less than S$5o / hours
- Free Singapore tour for passenger transit more than 6 hrs.
Check this www.changiairport.com for more detail

Cheers

There are plenty to do in the airport, 8 hours is a lot of time to spare.If you have not visited Singapore, you should hop on the free SIA tour and get a glimpse of the city.

About your baggage, I believe you got to get out and collect your baggage then check in again! It is best to call Silkair in Singapore.

Laine, I transit SIN a lot. My personal litmus test is at the 12 hour mark. 12 hours or more, leave the airport to recover, less, stay at the transit hotel.

If you have any control over the flights and connections, for me the sweet spot is at about 18 hours, so you can sleep, shower, eat and shop.

Less than 12: Transit hotel.
12-14 hours: Le Meridien Changai Village, which you can occasionally get great internet rates at.
14+ hours: Go downtown. I usually am at the Raffles or Swissotel (both sit over top of the City Mall, and, the City Hall Metro Station).

As for luggage, you don't mention who your carriers are that get you to SIN. I know for a fact that you can interline your bags on a SQ to Silk Air segment, as well as on a NW to SQ. Just make sure you have your tickets, or, itinerary + confirmation numbers when you check in, and explain the layover time. They'll hold them in the impound for you as long as your layover is less than 24 hours, then, load them on your next flight. I've done this on my last two trips through there with zero issues.

That way, you can pack a rollaboard with a day's worth of clothes, get off the plane, and go to the transit hotel, which isn't too bad at all.

If you choose to clear immigration & customs, at least it is rocket fast...about a minute if you're in first class, maybe 5 minutes if you're in the back.

All the best, James

fdog:
14+ hours: Go downtown. I usually am at the Raffles or Swissotel (both sit over top of the City Mall, and, the City Hall Metro Station).

I highly recommend the Swissotel. Would have liked to try the Raffles but rates were out of sight, at least when we were there.

Hi,
We are flying to Sinapore via AA from US to Japan and Japan Airlines to Singapore. The Singapore airport website makes it sound like there are many transit desks available, but we did not find out their hours or if they are open 24/7. We really do not want to have to go through immigration. We have now heard that AA and Silk Air have a ticket agreement which will allow us to book our luggage all the way to Manado. We hope that is true. I would still like to be able to check on our luggage whereabouts during our 8hr. layover in Singapore. Thank you everyone for your advice. The Singapore airport sounds like an amazing place.

Lain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom