Single Diver in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoSiouxme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm headed to Phuket in late February-early March of 07. As of yet, I'm going solo and even if I meet up with companions, I'll probably be the only one diving. I want to do a liveaboard to the Similians and several days of fun diving while I'm there but as a single, was wondering how this works out. Would I have to pay a single supplement on a liveaboard? (I would be willing to share quarters with another) and more importantly - would I be put in the dreaded dive buddy trio?

Thanks for your info!

Sioux

You don't have to pay a supplement since you're willing to share. There are a couple of boats at the Similans where you can come and go every day. This gives more movement and new faces every day, so that might be something for you, e.g.this boat. There's a few other boats that cater more to backpackers/solo travellers, other boats that cater more to couples.

You will dive with a buddy, and in general this works quite good in the area, so experience levels will be matched.

Don't worry, you'll have lots of fun!

Had a couple of single girl travellers / divers recently that wanted to go to the Similans, both agreed to share but when it came to it they both ended up in cabins on their own due to the boat not being full, perhaps this will change in High season but you may be lucky, avoid the dreaded 3 buddy team at all costs :)

Ive done liveaboards with dive clubs when i have travelled on my own before, a great way to meet people, if you are fortunate you get a great bunch of people that are socially compatible with you, if your unlucky ..... well that doenst warrant a though but I have met a few people diving that I wouldnt want to share a cabin with :)

I dove the Similans last year on a live aboard by myself and didn't pay extra. I dove out of Ranong rather then Phuket but it's the same. This year, I plan to go back. If you get a boat that's not crowded, you'll get your own berth. No matter you will love the Similans.

I've done Similans quite a few times. Pretty much half solo and half with someone. Never had to pay extra but then again sharing a cabin with someone was never a problem for me. On the other hand if the person you share your cabin with turns out to snore or something you can just sleep on the deck.

You'll propably end up diving with a buddy or in a group anyway. I've been buddying up with the dm of the group. That way you know that you don't have to be conserned about your buddy. As a photographer I'm don't dive side to side with my buddy all the time :)

Anyway you'll be having great time there! Actually we're heading to Thailand in xmas time for three and a half weeks. Man am I looking forward to that :)

hey
i might be there that time. im in so cal right now just training. if so ill hitch a ride on a liveaboard with u. i used to live in thailand and as for going solo that just doesnt happen. i moved to thailand solo and made some of the best friends of my life. youll meet people extremely fast, especially in the diving community. might see ya there!
-matt

Back
Top Bottom