Single Fem travelling alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calinectes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm heading off to dive Raja Ampat next month. I'm spending one night in Manado on the way over and 2 on the return. I have booked resorts in Manado to stay at figuring this is probably safest, if not the cheapest. I'll be doing a liveaboard that will pick me up when I land in Sorong and deliver me back to the airport on return.

Here's my questions.... what should I do, what shouldn't I do, and what is the best way to exchange money when I get there? Any and all advice is appreciated on travelling in this part of the world. :huh:

Well, I'm sure you're going to have a wonderful time diving in Irian Jaya. I went to Irian Jaya a few years ago and had an absolutely wonderful time. Great reefs and stunning topside scenery guaranteed! Don't miss out on a small land-jungle tour to see the red bird of paradise- a MUST do!
Make sure you got ALL the things you have to do (money changing/last minute things to buy/paperwork etc.) done BEFORE you go to Sorong and Irian Jaya. Manado is a good place to get those last things done and manado Town has some fairly good shopping too.
Only fly to Sorong when you're 100% sure you got all the things you need for your trip sorted out (including flight confirmations to and from) because it may be impossible to get anything done in Sorong.
Good idea to let the Liveaboard crew pick you up from Sorong "airport"; it can be a very confusing place to be...

The Manado airport is well-organized and modern and people all over N. Sulawesi are very friendly and helpful so you shouldn't have any problems while staying there. Regarding money changing, there are several different ATM machines right outside the arrivals area at the Manado airport. Some will accept your card, and some won't (depending on which network your bank belongs to) so just keep trying until you find one that does. We didn't change any money or carry any travelers checks, we just withdrew rupiahs directly from the ATM. Unless you are planning on doing major shopping, you won't have much need for local currency, especially if you are just going to be on a liveaboard. The only thing we used it for was for tips and some small purchases. I don't know about Sorong, but in Manado/Lembeh, the DMs were just as happy to get USD as Rupiahs (I specifically asked before I tipped).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom