SINGLE most useful thing you have learned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, everyone, for the contributions - this is a very enjoyable and enlightening thread. My 2 psi?

It has already been shared - but: SLOW DOWN. There are so many positive rewards for this...

Taking time to check and recheck my gear keeps me safe and boosts my confidence; taking time before the dive to really talk to my dive buddy and go through contingencies and plans and communication reassures me that they are safe and prepared; breathing slowly and being aware of the volume of air in my lungs at any given moment has enabled me to fine-tune and make micro adjustments to my bouyancy (without touching the BC inflator) that makes manuevering effortless and stress-free; small-kick-and-coast swim pattern in calm waters - all of these help keep me focussed and thinking clearly and having an enjoyable dive and - lo-and-behold! - my air consumption rate has steadily (and dramatically) dropped as I have learned to slow down and enjoy the dive. I also notice things I would never have seen and I am far less fatigued at the end of a long day of multiple dives.

I live in a city where the pace of life is fast and furious - I love getting into the water, being weightless and having my only sense of time passing be watching to see how slowly I can make the gas in my tank disappear. The slower the better....

Last edited:
For me, it's the importance of having good mentorship. I strive to provide the same.

Last edited:
- "He who conquers self, conquers all" ie. Always be in control of your state of mind, do not fall prey to panic.

- "Despacio porque tengo prisa" = "Slow because I'm in a hurry". Another version of this is, "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast". Not just for enjoyment and slowing down to take all the scenery in, but to deal with problems as well. Your mind might be rushing you to go in fast jerky movements that easily end up being inefficient and prone to error. Smooth, well-thought purposeful actions save you so much time when you are in trouble.

Most important thing I learned: Don't use Mares integrated weight systems. They will try and kill you.

If something goes wrong, trust your training and don't freak out. I've had my reg and mask kicked off my face a few times, and I just relaxed, and did what my training taught me to do. :)

breathe normally.

ie burn through a tank while watching tv with your mask on....then mimic that at depth.

(i will never again admit to this...to anyone...at anytime)

oh...and put your fins on before jumping off the boat.

What happens in your wetsuit stays in your wetsuit.

The second most important lesson: It is never okay to freak out/panic/whatever you want to call it. This applies above and below the water and across any life situation you come across, but in the water it is downright dangerous. I have witnessed a few near-misses and at heart of each episoide, the "victim" was panicked.

Even if you're using your drysuit for buoyancy there may still be air in your bc that rears it's ugly head on ascent. (Usually at about ss depth.) So be ready to vent your bc too.

Back
Top Bottom