SINGLE most useful thing you have learned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was sitting, reading the board tonight, and reflecting on all the things I've learned in five years of diving, taking classes, and reading posts. And I asked myself what the SINGLE most useful thing I have learned in all that time would be. Would it be gas management, or the back kick, or the existence of DIR diving, or how to tie on boltsnaps?

I came to the conclusion that the single most useful thing I have learned can be summed up in quotations from three of my favorite people, HBDiveGirl and airsix, and my cave instructor Danny Riordan. Claudette said, "Bring your own fun," and Ben said, "You will never have a disappointing dive in Puget Sound, if you focus on what's there, and not what isn't." And Danny said, "The cave you came to see is the cave you are seeing." And the lesson is that a dive is what you make it -- YOU are the difference between a great dive and a disappointing one, even in the same conditions and with the same things to see. Existing in the moment, and marveling at what's there, or sometimes simply at the amazement of existing and breathing underwater, and being free to move in three dimensions, can make a dive fantastic when you can't recount any specific "finds" after you surface.

So, what's your single most useful thing?

Knowing how to setup my gear so I can get in the water in the first place :cheers:

Double check that your air is on before jumping in. Take a breath off the reg and watch the gauge

I'm not nearly a philosophical as you are, but the one thing that has helped my confidence more than anything was to tuck my chin when my mask is flooded or removed. That kept water from going up my nose enough so that I could practice the skill over & over until I mastered it. Now I can fall asleep without a mask on,... completely relaxed.

It's hard to narrow to one thing Lynne. :D

At this point, I would have to say proper Bouancy and trim. Things have changed so much since I got back into the water. Todays gear let's the diver to make so many subtle changes and tweaks. Still not where I want to be, but this summer I intend to nail it to the extent I can without my own gear.

Since I said it was hard to narrow it down to ONE thing, a close second would be learning of this board. It's been a very good resource for both my daughter and I to pick through and discuss. Thanks NetDoc for the effort!

J.

Having a reliable, trustworthy dive buddy (or two) with compatible goals makes diving a lot more fun.
Communication is the key to fostering a strong dive buddy relationship.

Taking responsibility for my own gear. Unfortunately, this is something opposed by many scuba manufacturers and retailers.

Knowing how to setup my gear so I can get in the water in the first place :cheers:

Same here. I'm the least competent guy alive when it comes to mechanics, putting anything together, anything like that. The biggest challenge in OW was to get all the stuff put together correctly in the right order. Even now after 5 years and 200 dives, I dislike being away from diving for more than a week or two, and rarely am. Not that I'd ever FORGET how to assemble it, but I like to keep it all like second nature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom