Single Sola 2000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Question for users of Sola 2000:

Thinking about using a single Sola 2000 on a locline arm for use as a video light. I'm wondering how it will do by itself. Certainly a two light config would be better to eliminate shadows but with the flat but high light output it looks like it would work reasonably well.

I'm mainly motivated by cost because dual 2000s are not cheap and I'm not a very frequent diver. Dual Sola 1200s could be within reach costwise but it seems that the single 2000 puts out such a wide flat beam that it would work.

What do you think?

Hi Shasta man, I have video of me using a Gopro 3 black in Roataan, doing a wreck dive inside using a single sola2000 light. And as interceptor said, there will be shadows around the edges. You can see here for yourself. Also another problem I had was burn time. The lights only lasted one complete dive which was 70mins at full burn. And in order to get color, you pretty much need it. Good lights, very light to hold. Need two and for two tank dive, need two extra lights. Not cheap for sure. You can see the dive here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsbu8dg9byY Hope this helps. :)

Personally I'd buy two 1200 solas instead of a single 2000 if you never planned on upgrading to more power. There is always more versatility with two lights versus one. I'd buy a single sola 2000 if you planned on someday spending the money on another 2000.

Personally I'd buy two 1200 solas instead of a single 2000 if you never planned on upgrading to more power. There is always more versatility with two lights versus one. I'd buy a single sola 2000 if you planned on someday spending the money on another 2000.
i found a 2000 was only 100 more. 1200 699 as apposed to 2000 for 799. better to get the 2000. theres 3 settings to control the brightness. however if shooting with twin lights based on 2 tank dive ur gonn need 4 lights all together

The 2000 in the flood only version is only 100$ more because the 1200 has also spot that means additional 3 bulbs per light and no need for a diving light

From my experience with a pair of Sola 1200s, you do not need 4 lights to do two dives. If you conserve when you have your lights on you should be able to get two dives in easily, unless you are filming constantly or diving in very low light. Also, they charge up quickly, so if you don't fully drain them, you should have little problem topping them off between dives, provided you have a source of 110v AC power. As to the original question, you should consider that both the 1200 and 2000 have a 60degree beam angle, so if you are shooting wide angle you will not get full coverage, but either will add nice color in the right situation. I used to dive with a single light head Ikelite with a 50 watt bulb, and was pleased with the benefits in caverns and wrecks.

From my experience with a pair of Sola 1200s, you do not need 4 lights to do two dives. If you conserve when you have your lights on you should be able to get two dives in easily, unless you are filming constantly or diving in very low light. Also, they charge up quickly, so if you don't fully drain them, you should have little problem topping them off between dives, provided you have a source of 110v AC power. As to the original question, you should consider that both the 1200 and 2000 have a 60degree beam angle, so if you are shooting wide angle you will not get full coverage, but either will add nice color in the right situation. I used to dive with a single light head Ikelite with a 50 watt bulb, and was pleased with the benefits in caverns and wrecks.

as i said burn time is good for around 60 to 70 mins for sola 2000 model
my dives were 1 hour each and i tried to record the entire dives. should have an extrrnal battery pack to use on two lights cause one isnt enough to cover gopro 3 black entire screen
and need light for second dive.even when i turned on to record they still werent sufficient for second dive

You can get the 2000s (flood only) for the same price as the 1200's if you try ($699). So you can run them at half power, pretend you got twin 1200's, and get 2hrs runtime :D

You get 4hrs+ on quarter power (500lm) which is still enough to scare off most things on a night dive.

I have 2000 floods, same deal, 70mins max burn time. at max setting. one light isn't enough to fill the gopro frame.

Back
Top Bottom