Single Sola 2000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not just a matter of filling the frame, light aimed directly at the subject means backscatter. If you dive in crystal clear waters this is not an issue the moment you have a bit of silt then is a mess.
The only case where you can use a single light is macro where you are so close that you can aim the light at 45 degrees and avoid backscatter

i tried to record the entire dives.

Now I understand better. Your videography isn't typical, sounds like you're documenting your dives more than anything else. More typical videography consists of mostly 30 second to 2 minute recordings, with some longer durations thrown in here and there, this is why you're getting the answers you're getting from people, they are all in perspective of that type of filming.

If you're just doing documentation type videos I wouldn't be all that focused on lighting quality and just look to something that fits your type of recording better which is obviously focusing more on burn time than lighting technique, as you said the Sola 2000 would work for what you're trying to do. If you want to step up the quality of the filming then as has been stated, you really need to look at 2 lights instead of one.

........If you're just doing documentation type videos I wouldn't be all that focused on lighting quality and just look to something that fits your type of recording better which is obviously focusing more on burn time than lighting technique, as you said the Sola 2000 would work for what you're trying to do. If you want to step up the quality of the filming then as has been stated, you really need to look at 2 lights instead of one.

Or get a filter :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

2 Sola 2000 lights cost about $1,600. I think he wants to record the whole dive with lights on the whole time and do 2 dives ? Does that mean getting 4 Sola 2000 lights at $3,200 ? Sounds crazy to me to spend that amount of money on lights for a GoPro to record the whole dive continuously. Then again, I am not the most normal person.

Since none of us here on scubaboard are making a living from UW video, I guess what matters most is if you are happy with your footage/end results. Each of us has our own style, opinions and preferences.

Last edited:
Am not sure if recording a whole dive qualifies as videography. If you don't frame the shots there is non composition and also the assumption that the position of lights is fixed is not correct. Depending on subject distance light distance changes otherwise you either have a shadow in front or backscatter
Lumens are not a replacement for incorrect exposure and yes you can throw 8000 lumens straight ahead but that is just plain annoying for the fish and the divers around you
When I use my twin Sola 1200 at full power I see the fish getting scared and moving away sometimes even in day time imagine with more
For this kind of purpose ambient light is sufficient and there is no need to throw money in lights if they are not used properly

Most wide angle shots are taken with ambient light custom white balance or filter, close wide and macro are taken with lights, if you don't frame the shots there is no point in having lights altogether let alone the boredom of having to watch the dives all over again to find some piece of footage worth editing

Hi Shasta man, I have video of me using a Gopro 3 black in Roataan, doing a wreck dive inside using a single sola2000 light. And as interceptor said, there will be shadows around the edges. You can see here for yourself. Also another problem I had was burn time. The lights only lasted one complete dive which was 70mins at full burn. And in order to get color, you pretty much need it. Good lights, very light to hold. Need two and for two tank dive, need two extra lights. Not cheap for sure. You can see the dive here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsbu8dg9byY Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for posting the video, looks like the light did a decent job of filling the screen from top to bottom but didn't reach the edges in the wide format. I liked that it gave some perspective about what you were looking at and the darkness surrounding, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, I just bought a BigBlue VL1800 that has a 120 degree light field but it'll be several months 'till I have video.

Interesting, iluvtheocean. Are you saying that there are restrictions on hand carrying the Sola lights? I'm leaning towards just renting since family changes means my upcoming trip is likely the last for a couple years. I also considered the BigBlue system but it just seemed a little cheaper than the Solas due to mounting hardware and slightly lower price but, it appears, is larger than the Solas.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2013 at 02:36 PM ----------

Thanks for the sample video Caribbean Ted. Very helpful. It looks like a single light could make acceptable video for the cost savings.

i was looking into the Morph1000 for my use since it'll take 2 72 degree video heads for only $599 for the core system -- and it does say it doesn't have any TSA restrictions for travel. I'd still pack in checked i think.
l

I was told to take in carry on, do not pack in checked baggage. The rationale was if the lithium batteries started a fire in the cabin, they could locate and extinguish, but if in cargo hold, would burn unnoticed. Anyway, last summer I hand carried an Intova TovaTexc and a Magic Shine and several others and was screened several times including military screen without issue.

Interesting, iluvtheocean. Are you saying that there are restrictions on hand carrying the Sola lights? I'm leaning towards just renting since family changes means my upcoming trip is likely the last for a couple years. I also considered the BigBlue system but it just seemed a little cheaper than the Solas due to mounting hardware and slightly lower price but, it appears, is larger than the Solas.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2013 at 02:36 PM ----------

Thanks for the sample video Caribbean Ted. Very helpful. It looks like a single light could make acceptable video for the cost savings.

The Sola 4000s I just got come shipped with the lighting element on backwards, according to the instructions this is the safe way to travel with them and how you're supposed to travel with them. They also have a disconnect toggle on the body of the light that when you switch it, it completely disconnects the batteries from any contact with anything. So there are those 2 safeguards they feature specifically designed to meet travel restrictions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom