Single Tank Wings (HOG 32lb vs. OMS 32lb)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember there are two people in this thread - one who's looking for recommendations on a ~32lb wing (and is now leaning towards the HOG wing) and another who had a much higher lift wing recommended. I believe 32lbs will be plenty.

My bad. My clumsiness now apparently extends into my reading comprehension :bonk:

Best wishes.

My 32 lb no bungee OMS wing has hundreds of dives on it, seems heavy duty and even bombproof and it does have a zipper. You will find the zipper on the inner surface of the oval. It seems to be very well made.

For overall, Performance, Quality & Control in the water I would recommend the Halcyon Eclipse Wing. Most people are fine with the 30lbs wing but if you feel that you want more lift than you can go with the 40lbs wing.

But I could buy a HOG and OMS wing for the price of a eclipse wing. That and I can't imagine that either HOG or OMS wing (made by quality companies) have significantly different performance, quality or control than one made by a bigger brand name.

Can you justify these statements?

But I could buy a HOG and OMS wing for the price of a eclipse wing. That and I can't imagine that either HOG or OMS wing (made by quality companies) have significantly different performance, quality or control than one made by a bigger brand name.

Can you justify these statements?

From my perspective - having played with all three - the overall fit and finish of the H wings is superior. Also, if you want a true "donut" style wing, neither the Hog nor the OMS fit the bill...

hog32-2T.jpg

bc-single-r.jpg

The Halcyon Eclipse however is a "full" donut, not just some little bit of "left to right" connection:
normal_EclipseWing.jpg

Also don't think Hog or OMS have drainage grommets. Could be wrong, as I don't recall. But pictures don't show grommets.

Good to know - there does appear to be a significant difference in shape. I can see how that would effect air trapping and thus overall wing performance. Where are the drainage grommets? I'm taking a wild guess here and saying they drain the outer shell?

Good to know - there does appear to be a significant difference in shape. I can see how that would effect air trapping and thus overall wing performance. Where are the drainage grommets? I'm taking a wild guess here and saying they drain the outer shell?

Look at the bottom/underside of the H wing above, and you'll see two grommets.

I have an OMS 32 #. It has a zipper and drainage grommets. I got a couple of pinch flats in the inner bladder once, though. Blue982, you should be aware that a simple denier count does not tell the whole story. I tried looking it up once, but there was just enough info out there to tell me that much, but not more. I'd also be interested in the durability of the inner bladder, if I were you. Again, simple thickness may not tell the whole story. OMS uses a urethane laminate material. It it better? Is it cheaper to manufacture? Beats me! If you figure it out, do let me know.

RJP: Interesting observation on the relative shapes. I've always wondered why some wings have the inverted U shape at the bottom? Any idea? Thanks.

FYI: my buddy bought red oms 32# wing, for some reason the the tanks bands for single tank and the holes did not align up correct. He needed to go the the 45#, which looks simalar to the hog.

if u look on this page: OMS Build Your Own Buoyancy System http://www.OMSdive.com, the BC116-32R is for IQ™ Pack or Continuous Weave harness system, my buddy had the confort harness 2. I do not know which one u have.

Hog wing has three sets of holes, allowing you to reposition wing up or down a little if needed. OMS only has one set of holes.

hog32-2T.jpg

bc-single-r.jpg

That said, I've got H wings, which do not have multiple sets of holes, and have never felt the need to move the wing but perhaps this might be important. If I needed a single tank wing I'd look at the Halcyon Eclipse - either 30lb or 40lb wing depending on your needs. They are 1680 Denier Cordura. Does need an STA, but since you're looking at one anyway, no problem.

normal_EclipseWing.jpg

Halcyon Eclipse Wings (30lb and 40lb) at www.DiveSeekers.com

I'm anti OMS just because they have a horrible customer service reputation. There are lots of good choices for wings; oxycheq wings are fantastic and reasonably priced, and the new style dive rite travel EXP wings look very nice to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom