Sinking legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are weights designed to clip to the d-rings. These are intended as a temporary solution. Generally attaching weights to the tank band, or adding a second tank band with weight pouches where you want is what I've seen people do instead of trying to put stuff on the BC shoulder straps.

When I looked again at my BCD, I noticed that I can move the tank strap up about 3 or 4 inches to a higher slot, so I did that. I have 6lb on the tank strap, so I'll give that a try before messing with shoulder or tank neck weights.

When I looked again at my BCD, I noticed that I can move the tank strap up about 3 or 4 inches to a higher slot, so I did that. I have 6lb on the tank strap, so I'll give that a try before messing with shoulder or tank neck weights.

That could be VERY significant.

Pete

Great thread!! I just completed the GUE Fundies 1. Until then I would not have understood some of the comments in this thread. Have been diving several years and was taught and developed the habit of diving heavy to make up for improper trim and buoyancy. When you dive heavy it is easier to multi-task. During the course I learned what buoyancy is all about and I struggled with buoyancy, trim and sinking feet. When you add tasks to the issue well forget it. Need practice now that I know what to do. Comments in this thread are spot on!!!

To follow up on this, I dove over the weekend to try it out again. I dropped two pounds off my weight pockets, and with my tank band weights in the upper slot on the BC (rather than the middle as they were originally), it worked great. I can now hover essentially motionless for an extended time without moving at all. I was also able to hang motionless vertically head down to take a look at something interesting.

I'm probably just a bit heavier than some people would recommend because I want to be able to stay neutral at 6' - 8' rather than at 15'. There is a lot to see on a shore dive around here, even in very shallow water, and sometimes half the dive is in 15' or less of water.

I'm probably just a bit heavier than some people would recommend because I want to be able to stay neutral at 6' - 8' rather than at 15'. There is a lot to see on a shore dive around here, even in very shallow water, and sometimes half the dive is in 15' or less of water.

If you are overweighted (and most people are, especially as newer divers) the BCD will work in opposition to your weight belt to pull you vertical. Reseach and practice buoyancy control techniques (e.g. breath control, etc.) and your trim should improve. Also newer divers tend to fin constantly, and that will drive you upward. In general a relaxed behavior will help in both areas.

Even after hundreds of dives I was still fanatical about understanding my weighting and learning how to trim it effectively - even a larger mask volume can have annoying buoyancy effects.

Best thing that worked for my "heavy" legs was diving with a drysuit where I can get just a little bit of air in my feet to keep them from sinking (Disclaimer: of course always be super careful when moving air into your feet in a drysuit as you can't simply vent that air and therefore you need to be aware of the techniques for doing so. Disclaimer over). In a wetsuit, however, it's a struggle for me with the sinking feet (despite my core being fine). I've been trying to balance (no pun intended) the "moving the tank up for trim" versus constantly banging my head on the tank valve, and haven't come up with a good solution yet.

Other than that, if you're still struggling with all the great info already given, and as dumb as it sounds, you could always add a couple of small blocks of Styrofoam to your fins to make them less negative. :D

My trim is fine. Legs/feet maybe a bit negative due to negative split fins. I have heard that it is not uncommon for a person's legs to be the most negative part of the body, though it varies. I do have a problem the odd occasion I decide to just use to top to my farmer john--with bare legs. But I am always diving solo then so who cares if a fin touches sand once or twice. But regarding your Styrofoam idea-- not a bad one. I posed the question a few years ago on SB--- You can buy ankle weights for scuba and sports in general--Why is there no specific ankle FLOATS for negative legs? Ie. something to wrap around ankles/booties or calves that is positively buoyant--something you buy in a LDS that is specifically for that purpose.

I guess you can look at it two ways--you need weight shifted quite a bit toward the top part of you to offset negative legs, or you can leave weights where they are and get something to float the legs more......

I also am a newby with the same problem. Here is what helped me:

1- Move the tank UP. Mine was way too low.
2- Wear thicker booties. I went from 2mm to 5mm
3- Use lighter fins. Went from Oceanic V16 to Mares Volo Power
4- If needed, I duck head down to get the bubble to the bottom of my BCD. I just have to remember to use the butt-dump valve.
5- Practice in the pool. It took several hours to get my horizontal hover down. Getting more comfortable every trip.

Also I find my trim really changes with wet suit. Diveskin, 3mm shorty, 7mm So I practice with all of them.

Good luck in your quest the master this skill.

As a former pilot i really wish I had a trim tab.

Hyrum
Yeah, I second the tank moving up a bit if it is to low. Also try to move more weight toward the upper back area, or trim pockets.

If you are overweighted (and most people are, especially as newer divers) the BCD will work in opposition to your weight belt to pull you vertical. Reseach and practice buoyancy control techniques (e.g. breath control, etc.) and your trim should improve. Also newer divers tend to fin constantly, and that will drive you upward. In general a relaxed behavior will help in both areas.

Even after hundreds of dives I was still fanatical about understanding my weighting and learning how to trim it effectively - even a larger mask volume can have annoying buoyancy effects.

Yup, that's why I moved my trim weights up a bit. I am intentionally a bit heavy at 15', so I can be neutral at 6' in my 7mm suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom