sinus + pressure = no diving... grrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had your problem on an Aggressor liveaboard trip to Hawaii last winter. I had prescription meds from my MD (a quadruple dose Psuedoephedrine with Guiffesen) and drank liberal amounts of Tobasco in hot water. I even sucked salt water up into my nose in hopes that the salt would clean everything out for me. I couldn't clear my ears at the surface. Every time I tried to go below 15 feet my sinuses had little explosons in them.

I snorkelled. I ended up spending a lot of time in the surge zone seeing creatures I would have missed otherwise. (It's really easy to spot a swimming turtle when the whole vista of the ocean floor is in your line of sight.)

Time fixed the congestion. After a few days of snorkelling I was able to descend.

Some people swear by decongestants. If you're having trouble they will offer you pseudafed. That stuff may work for some folks, but only time works for me.

I am so glad to read your comments because I was beginning to think that I am the only person with this problem. And getting a bit scared.

My ENT does not know what to make of it. I am a 28 year old causasian woman living in Trinidad. He is suggesting surgery. But I feel like I dont know enough about what is happening to me.

I suffer from bad allergies.

In May 2002. The first time I had this symptom (blood coming down with mucus). I went diving for 20 mins to 30feet. I got out of the water my head feeling weird and within days the bleeding started. It lasted for almost a month. I took Avelox antibiotics. Then the bleeding receeded and eventually stopped.

This brings us to present day. May 2006. On a flight from Orlando to Trinidad had terrible pain on the last 1/2 hour (descent) flights Orlando - Miami and Miami - Trinidad. Back 4 days and bleeding started. Have been bleeding for about 12 days and it has receeded a lot. Almost completely stopped. Am on last day of avalox.

I explained all this history to my ENT and he did not link it to the diving and flying. He did not even mention the word "Barotrauma".

Some things I have read are putting me off of the surgery. I got back the report from the C.T. It said "Right concha bullosa". From looking up "Right concha bullosa" on the internet... it lead me to something called "Barotrauma" which is what I think I experienced.

Here is the C.T. report:

There is marked deviation of the nasal septum convex to the left. No other bony abnormality is seen. Minimal mucosal thickening identifed on the medial and posterior walls of the right maxillary sinus. The walls of the left maxillary sinus are clear. No fluid levels identified. The frontal sinuses are clear. The ethmoid air cells are clear. Marked opacity/opacification of the right side of the sphenoid sinus. Probable large sphenoid sinus polyp. No other focal abnormality is seen. Coronal views through the ostiomeatal complexes shows evidence of mucosal thickening involving the left maxillary sinus infundibulum causing minimal narrowing at this point. A right sided maxillary infundibulum is patent. Distortion of the right side uncinate process and right maxillary infundibulum by the presence of a moderate size right concha bullosa noted. This measure 1.7cm Cranio Caudal x 1cm Transverse x 1.1cm AP. Please Note this is a right-sided concha bullosa. No other focal abnormality identified.

any help or pointing in the right direction would help. I don't want to think that I can never dive or fly again. I could live without the diving but the flying?...

Have you ever heard of anyone having this problem?

Is the surgery necessary?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom