sipadan with open water diver qualification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayb

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any limitations (beyond the inherent ones) on diving at Sipadan with just open water diver qualification? I've read its not ideal for beginner divers but we have 45 or so logged dives in red sea, maldives etc and so have a certain amount of experience.... Am v excited about going to Sipadan but would hate to go all the way there only to discover we can't dive or are very hampered by our lowly qualification status. Thanks!

I'd say you'll be just fine. Its not really the ideal place for absolute beginners, but if you have 45 logged dives, that's not a worry. There are some currents and of course, you have to be careful of depth on the walls. Wall diving can be deceptive, especially if the water is clear. It can be easy to start drifting down. Keep an eye on your depth guage and have fun!

Sipadan Dive Sites

Sipadan and Mabul Tourist Information

With good dive guides I see no problem doing your dives there at all.

Generally most dive operators there will practice a check out dive and you would also be wise to let them know of your OWD status. Bring along your updated log book.

Why? Generally they do open water courses there as well, and many a times the OWD students are treated to dive with good supervision at Barracuda Pts.

Dun worry no problem unless you have not dived for more than 6 months and clocked less than 25 dives in total.

Enjoy your dive!!!

We dove Sipadan last year and had a ball. While many in my group were Rescue or DM's we had a newbie with us who did just fine. As with any new place, talk with your guides they will help you!
Have a great time and report back!

Susie

No worries, not a probllem especially with 45 dives in Red Sea and Maldives. Just watch out for strong current sweeping you out to the open at Barrucada Point and South Point. They might just let you do night dive at Drop Off as well!!!

:wink:

Thanks all! Very reassuring....
ciao K

Not a problem at all.
I take divers to Sipadan and Mabul all the time. Do NOT miss Mabul for some great dives.
I suggest you stay at Sipadan Mabul Resort (I was there 9 times in 05). It is very good- accommodation, food and dive masters.
If you need help to book, let me know- go check the prices at their website
http://www.sipadan-mabul.com.my/index.html
I can get you cheaper prices! No worries- you pay direct to the resort but through my recommendation. Just glad to help and happy that you wanna dive my country's best dive site! You will enjoy it.
If yu want to be very comfortable, checkout their water bungalows.
Any questions, let me know. You can email me at chooitan@gmail.com

Hope you enjoy your dives.

Generally all the operators are good. Noboady wishes to have unhappy guests or divers anyway.

If you are not planning on a trip so soon. Suggest you visit the ADEX for a good bargain. Currently, the dive shops and resorts are having some firece price war due to 3 new operators coming up in Ligitan area.

Good luck in your quest and enjoy your wall and macro dives!!

I'm going to be in Mabul - Sipadan in May this year and it is my second visit this year. To answer your question you will be fine. Dive within your limitations and when they ask you if you want to go into Turtle Cave say no. There is great beginner diving al around the island with plenty of turtles, dolphins, barracuda, rays, manta rays, reef sharks, the odd hammerhead shark, clownfish, giant clams..... The list is endless. When I'm there I dive with Borneo divers and a chap named Clement Lee. As a beginner diver I would recommend you probably not dive in the cave or on any deep wall dives as someone stated above it is very easy to go deeper then planned on a wall dive and when the bottom around the island bottoms at (what I'm told) is 600 meters you really don't want to hit the bottom. There was also a really exhilerating drift dive we did with hundreds of reef sharks. Have a great time and enjoy Borneo it is a great if not one of the best dive destinations in the world.

Back
Top Bottom