Sipalay, Siquijor, Camiguin, Malapascua -where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

We are planning a 17-day trip to Philippines in early December. We would like to visit 2, max 3 different places. Our criteria have been mainly beach and diving, but they do not need both be amazing at both places. We have narrowed our list down to four places as we do not want to spend too much time traveling all over the country: Sipalay, Malapascua, Siquijor and Camiguin. Sipalay is for the beach (“the new Boracay” hype), as it has not received such great comments on diving. But then it has been difficult to choose. Siquijor and Camiguin seem tempting as they have a varied landscape (and the volcanoes on Siquijor). Diving in Malapascua has been reported good (plus the opportunity to see thresher sharks). There have been only few reports on Siquijor and Camiguin. And Apo keeps getting positive comments, so maybe we should add that to the list..

I have browsed through Scubaboard and found comments, reports and questions re those places separately. I have also searched the web where every dive operator and guest house/resort owner naturally says their place is the best with a beautiful beach and awesome diving. And yes, there are some amazing photos from all these places, so that makes the choice even harder. What do you guys who have visited those places recommend? Or will we be fine with whichever of those places we choose?

We are a couple with 50 and 100 dives. We are not very interested in wrecks and both small and big stuff is ok.

Cheers,

Parla

concentrate on visayas, you get both diving and superb beaches.

you can do these places:

Malapascua- (threshers and good macro)
Bantayan - (2-hour boat ride from malapascua) superb beaches, sand is like boracay without the ugly structures and overflow of people, more laidback, more private, and well, cheaper.

both are in cebu mainland. from there, you can go travel down to the island of Bohol - you can opt to stay in Panglao and dive Balicasag or go straight to a more private island, Cabilao and dive with Polaris Dive Resort. from there you catch a ferry to Dumaguete and go to Dauin (and Apo Island) for diving.

that itinerary will blow you away, i can guarantee. :). let me know if you need help on arrangements.

I'd agree with Maggie's suggestions, can't go wrong with that.

Maggie, nice avatar/picture. If you don't mind me saying :D

i was thinking there would be more people who would rely on me arranging for their trips if i at least show my face rather than my butt. :laughing:

personally I think there are about 20 places in the Philippines that it would be hard for you to go wrong if you went to them-

Puerto Galera, Tuttubha reef, Pandan island-Apo reef, Boracay, Malapasqua, Bayantan, Cebu, Cabilao, Bohol, Donsol, Leyte, Camiguin, Davao, Siquijor, Apo Island-Dumaguete, Sipalay, Moalboal, Santander, Camotes, Palawan.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Now that was funny.

personally I think there are about 20 places in the Philippines that it would be hard for you to go wrong if you went to them-

Puerto Galera, Tubbataha reef, Pandan island-Apo reef, Boracay, Malapasqua, Bantayan, Cebu, Cabilao, Bohol, Donsol, Southern Leyte, Camiguin, Davao, Siquijor, Apo Island-Dumaguete, Sipalay, Moalboal, Santander, Camotes, Palawan.
you left out underrated Anilao, Rex.

Back
Top Bottom