Sipidan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi There,
Looking for comments and information on diving and accomodations in, and travel to Sipidan, Malaysia. Planning a Pacific Blowout trip and looking at places like Sipidan, Manado, and PNG. Looking FOR a combination of larger animals and macro, for which Sipidan seems the ideal choice. But there's not much specific stuff on the web about it.
Anyone have any direct experiences? Would love to hear about it.
Thanks much,

peterjmaerz once bubbled...
Hi There,
Looking for comments and information on diving and accomodations in, and travel to Sipidan, Malaysia. Planning a Pacific Blowout trip and looking at places like Sipidan, Manado, and PNG. Looking FOR a combination of larger animals and macro, for which Sipidan seems the ideal choice. But there's not much specific stuff on the web about it.
Anyone have any direct experiences? Would love to hear about it.
Thanks much,

may be u wan to check the sipadan report by Zept :)

Thanks, Zept's trip report was very interesting. I'm finding some very discouraging information from some sources concerning the state of the reefs, the beach, the turtles, etc on Sipadan. I've been told that the little island has been literally overrun with dive operations, most of whom care little for the environment, either above or below the surface; that there's been "egregious" damage to the reefs and turle sanctuaries, and that there's barely an inch of beach which hasn't been developed.
Perhaps, Zept, if you're out there, you can give me your impressions concerning the above. Any other folks who've had the Sipadan experience recently or can think of another area where both Macro and Big animal experiences, combined with lush reefs are possible.
Thanks again,

Peter, if you're reading articles on the Internet, some of them may have been written before they started restricting the number of divers on Sipadan. Currently there are five resorts on the island: three clumped together at the Drop-off and two others elsewhere. In total they accommodate around 80 divers. "Barely an inch of beach that hasn't been developed" simply isn't true.

I would also disagree with the comment that the dive ops "care little for the environment". There is certainly some rubbish on the beach, and probably there has been some damage to the coral, but it isn't the dump that you're describing.

We saw far more turtles than I can be bothered to count. Guests aren't allowed to walk around the beach at night, so that turtles can lay their eggs in reasonable peace (although it is possible to do a guided walk with the Turtle Man and see a turtle laying her eggs). All the eggs are collected and reburied in a hatchery; the young turtles are then released into the sea at sunset (so they will head towards the sun and leave the island). I know there are some issues with turtle hatcheries; however, we were told that if they don't collect the eggs, the young turtles tend to hatch at night and head for the lights of the resorts.

Sipadan has impressive soft corals, but IMO isn't a spectacular hard coral destination -- doesn't really have the right topography. For macro, you'll want to take a day trip to Mabul or Kapalai. Takes about 30 minutes by boat and both islands offer muck diving with the opportunity to see many strange sea creatures. Sipadan's main attractions are the turtle and shark encounters, schools of barracuda and jacks, pelagic fish, reef fish and the vertical topography.

Are you a photographer? There were many photographers and videographers on the island when I was there.

If you don't want to go, send me your money and I'll go on your behalf! Seriously, though, PNG also sounds pretty impressive... hard choice to make.

Hope that helps,

Zept

I just heard from a pal who been there... according to him... it is worth going ...don wait...reports u read elsewhere might not be true.. if it is really that bad...don think any divers would wan to go..there...

It was a while ago, but I was there in february 2000. Then the diving was very good. This is the low season, which normally gives a little bit lower viz., but diving is good all year round. I think there where something like 20-25 divers on the island at the same time as most. A couple of the resorts where totally empty. I stayed with Borneo Divers, which where the busiest. We where 12 guests as most, 6 as minimum. In combination with Mabul and Kapilai, which both are only a short boatride away, this area is unique in the world of diving.

I haven't been there recently, but at the time of my visit the maximum 80 rule was at work. A couple of months later the kidnapping drama took place at Sipadan, which certainly had an discouraging effect on tourism in the region. I find it very hard to believe that the place is now "destroyed". I wouldn't say it was untouched at the time of my visit, but the quality of the diving was very high.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Sipadan is as close as you can come to a "must do" destination.

good luck

Christian

Hi,

I was looking at doing a manado trip as opposed to a sipandang. But i've been hearing great things bout sipandang.

so, any ideas bout which is the better trip to do first??

Cheers

Hi all,

I have never been to Sipadan. My friend and I want to take a 7D6N dive package there. We got two options.

1) Stay in Roach reef, Kapalai and Sipadan for 2 days each
2) Stay in Sipadan only

Which one do you think is better for us? Thank you!

Regards,
Yiu

Hello Yiu

For some people the hotel or the resort is very important, so that can of course point you in a direction. But if you're like me, the diving is the only thing important.

My advice is therefore to stay on the island providing the type of diving you preffer. I have never dived around Kapalai, but understand it is similar to Mabul. The main difference is that Sipadan is an off shore reef with walls tumbeling down to big depths. This gives you better coral growth, the chance to see pelagic fish and better viz. More of a so called Wide Angle place.

Mabul and Kapalai are situated on the continental shelf, which produces very different conditions. Here the main objective for diving is to find smaller stuff - nudibranches etc; so called critter or muck diving. Viz is a bit lower and coral is not as evolved as in clearer waters.

Both types of diving has their charm and only you can decide what you preffer. When you have decided what you want to do most of, stay at that island. It is always possible to do boat trips from Kapalai or Mabul to Sipadan or from Sipadan to Mabul or Kapalai.

good luck

christian

Hi Christian,

We dont need great accomodation but good dive sites are more than enough. So, we may stay at Sipadan throughout the vacation. Thank you for your advices!

Yiu

Back
Top Bottom