Sixgill at Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:popcorn: waiting for the movie to start

You may want to supersize your coke. That post was from July 21 2008.

In the mean time I might recommend a good smackdown. The preview looks promising :catfight:

You may want to supersize your coke. That post was from July 21 2008.

In the mean time I might recommend a good smackdown. The preview looks promising :catfight:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I think you're the one and only that noticed that, Dale.

I was simply implying that a shark that usually lives hundreds of meters down, usually comes up to feed in the night time. Same with hundreds of different deep sea species. like squids and cuddle fish.

I talked to the girl that saw the six gill, she's an instructor at my dive shop
60' night dive.

The sharks remain in deeper water in the morning and only in shallower depths to feed.

It's pretty impossible to spot a six gill during the day...

I've seen a six gill in Barkley Sound in 110' in the middles of the day. I have a number of dive buddies who have seen them in the Saanich Inlet in the middle of the day.

As far as I know science is still unsure why they come to the shallows in the late summer/early fall. They definitely are interested in food though. I have two different friends who have caught them while fishing in the Alberni Inlet and I've seen the photos to prove it.

Has anyone seen one yet in 2009? It must be close to the time.

The one time I saw a six gill he was swimming parallel to us just within the visibility. I shined my primary light at him and he immediately, and quickly, made a turn and came right towards us. He turned again just out of arms reach and circled. I shined my light on him again and he reacted in in the same way. This time he broke off his approach within arms reach and my buddy rubbed his side. I didn't feel like we were on the menu, just that he was curious. He wasn't much longer than us.

Funny how I assumed the masculine when writing this.

I know of 2 sightings in the last couple of weeks in the Nanoose area around Beachcomber Marina. Both were daylight dives.
Aaron and I went there the other day but didn't see any.

I've seen a six gill in Barkley Sound in 110' in the middles of the day. I have a number of dive buddies who have seen them in the Saanich Inlet in the middle of the day.

As far as I know science is still unsure why they come to the shallows in the late summer/early fall. They definitely are interested in food though. I have two different friends who have caught them while fishing in the Alberni Inlet and I've seen the photos to prove it.

Has anyone seen one yet in 2009? It must be close to the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom