size 18 needs 5mm wetsuit before Aug 10th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mclianne

Registered
Reaction score
I and my husband have been invited by my In-Laws on a diving vacation to Fiji in 4 weeks. Being the end of winter there, I have read in my research that I should probably have a 5mm wetsuit for a week of diving.

I am a size 18, and the twins are a 40DD. I have an hourglass shape. I have looked at the sizing charts at the various sites and haven't found one that goes up to my generous 208lbs. The measurements seem to indicate I would need a womens XXL, but they only go up to 160-170 lbs on their charts.

The limitations on my search:
1. I don't believe there is enough time to get a custom made wetsuit.
2. I can't afford a $350-400 from the much touted Liquid fit
3. I only have a budget of about $200-$250
4. I live in Nebraska so the choice of LDS is, well...limited!

I have looked at the Henderson hyperstretch online and will try to get to the dive shop listed as a dealer for them on my day off tomorrow. They are just a little pricey for me. Any input? thanks...

Don't limit yourself to women's wetsuits. Some of the men's suits fit fine. The extra shoulder and chest width will allow for your bust line. O'Neil for one. Bare also makes a very stretchy 3 and 5mm suit.

I've got a couple of custom suits and the 'bumps' for the bust have never been that comfortable or worth the extra expense... in my opinion.

Since you're under a time restriction on this, it can't hurt to try them all.

Actually, I wear a size 22 and was able to get into one of the women's O'Neill's. One of their suits has some stretchy material in certain areas to allow for "fullness".

astrl

We sound like the same "irregular" figure type that always gets shunted to the custom-suit maker. Those babies are pricey! Are you sure it's a 5mm you need? Is Fiji chilly this time of year? Double check to see if a 3mm will do. I have the Henderson Hyperstretch (a new suit as of this past Fall) in a womens XL & it stretches to accomodate me. It was not too expensive, & if u can get away with a 3mm, it will be cheaper (I use a 5mm in California, & it is COLD here.)

PS: Isn't interesting how many "irregular" size women dive? Why don't they just admit that we are "regular" ?
:)

I haven't bought anything yet. But I rent a mans xl suit, you just may have to have it altered depending on what your height is.

Thanks for the timely replies!

A 5mm suit was reccomended to me by someone who had been to Fiji. The water temps in August typically range from 76-80 degrees. Would a 3mm be enough?

I wasn't sure if the men's suits would be too long in the arms and legs...

( The water in Roatan July of last summer was around 83 degrees and I dove 3 times a day in a basic dive skin without any problems.)

Since you probably have to mail order anyway, you might try www.sierratradingpost.com They have several nice wetsuits at pretty good discounts. They have a great return policy so I'm sure you could order two sizes and return the one that you didn't like.

Look at the 5mm semi dry by Camaro of Austria. They have larger sizes in the mens. You can always turn up the wetsuit at the wrist/ankle if it is too long by a few inches. Cost: $199

Also, look at the 4/3 stealth fullsuit by body glove, this has a flex chest, back torso and arms. $145.

From the home page go to "Sports Gear and Apparel" and then "Water Sports Apparel".

Good Luck

Katrina

I know a woman about your size. She's about 5' 8". She purchased a male "ActionPlus" in 7mm for New England diving. No alterations necessary and it fits well. It was also much less expensive than the Henderson.

If this interests you, let me know and I'll find out the size.

www.diversdiscount.com (somewhere in Southern California) advertises that they stock many sizes of wetsuits, including large sizes (I'm a XXXL male) and that they can move quickly. I've done business with them in the past (tanks and low cost, non life support accessories that were not available at the LDS). I found them to be most helpful, except in one case which took a couple of days to resolve.

I checked their site. They have several brands in your price range.

By the way, I'm not actually here.....

Good luck.

I forgot to add my height earlier, I'm 5' 4"...

Originally posted by Mclianne

A 5mm suit was reccomended to me by someone who had been to Fiji. The water temps in August typically range from 76-80 degrees. Would a 3mm be enough?

The water temp here is in the mid 70's year round, maybe inching up a bit towards summer - I use a 3mm and it works fine for me.

Unless you chill easily, I would imagine the 3mm would be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom