Size Of The Technical Diving Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that we are about to see a major change in diveshops rec and tech. As the shops will change their sales pitch and operations to embrace divers who purchase gear online as they move into the e-retail arena themselves. The shops who continue to spout things like "We don't like tech divers because they build their own rigs and buy the components off the internet." will start to fade away.

We will never get one shop that can service every brand and piece of gear however I think that we will get shops who will support you in your diving either Tec Rec Disabled or public safety divers alike.

I think that we are about to see a major change in diveshops rec and tech. As the shops will change their sales pitch and operations to embrace divers who purchase gear online as they move into the e-retail arena themselves. The shops who continue to spout things like "We don't like tech divers because they build their own rigs and buy the components off the internet." will start to fade away.

We will never get one shop that can service every brand and piece of gear however I think that we will get shops who will support you in your diving either Tec Rec Disabled or public safety divers alike.

You're 100% right. As more people move towards shopping online, more stores (in any industry) are becoming A) support centers, and B) demo facilities for products. Even companies like Nike have been adapting, by offering smaller, well-designed shops that are basically just a place to touch, feel and test their latest/greatest gear. They understand that the majority of people now will shop online and will compare a variety of websites to find the best price. Nike often even marks up products in their own stores by 2-3 times, because it makes it appear more "high end". Then people go online and are even more likely to buy something, because they think they are getting a good deal.

I highly doubt that we will see scuba manufacturers opening chains of their own shops, like a Shearwater shop, for example. The best way to survive may be to offer a variety of samples in store, but then have a very well-designed, competitive online space that offers something others don't. That actually may be a good way for at least few shops to become profitable in the tec-industry.

There are a lot more dive shops in places like Albuquerque than there are in places like LA.....
Sure, but that is part of the issue with the scuba industry. There are 3 dive shops on Albuquerque, which is at least one too many given the current market.

Sure, but that is part of the issue with the scuba industry. There are 3 dive shops on Albuquerque, which is at least one too many given the current market.
And how many truly support technical diving?

You're 100% right. As more people move towards shopping online, more stores (in any industry) are becoming A) support centers, and B) demo facilities for products. Even companies like Nike have been adapting, by offering smaller, well-designed shops that are basically just a place to touch, feel and test their latest/greatest gear. They understand that the majority of people now will shop online and will compare a variety of websites to find the best price. Nike often even marks up products in their own stores by 2-3 times, because it makes it appear more "high end". Then people go online and are even more likely to buy something, because they think they are getting a good deal.

I highly doubt that we will see scuba manufacturers opening chains of their own shops, like a Shearwater shop, for example. The best way to survive may be to offer a variety of samples in store, but then have a very well-designed, competitive online space that offers something others don't. That actually may be a good way for at least few shops to become profitable in the tec-industry.

There has been a lot of disruption in the retail space over the past fifteen years. My town used to have a plethora of book stores, but now we are down to two, Amazon and poor business sense killed the rest of them. The US is about to lose most of our Sports Chalets and Sports Authorities as well, those two chains have just filed bankruptcy protection and have announced a large number of store closings.

However, niche market competitors have been able to succeed in this environment by specializing and offering good service, and something online retailers cannot offer. I have a friend that owns a bike shop and is doing well by competing with online in the sales arena by selling at MAP, but he has really picked up his service business and that is keeping him quite busy and profitable.

Scuba is a goofy industry in this regard. The logical things to focus and build out would be the things the online space cannot offer. Training, air fills, service, experience dives, etc. But it requires a change in our thinking as an industry -- training and air fills used to be considered loss leaders to get people in the door, but they will need to become cornerstones of the business. This means that prices will go up for those things, and of course, in this industry you will find instructors competing at below market prices because of the "love of teaching" and people grousing about paying $10 for a nitrox fill. At the same time, shops should be willing to compete with online by giving up on MSRP and accepting MAP (hint, there are still margins to be made in MAP!), so gear prices will drop in the shops.

The technical market is uber niche. If you live in a place like North Florida, or Grand Cayman, you may be set for focusing on that, but if you're in Oklahoma you will need to accept that recreational diving is the majority of your business.

There are 3 dive shops on Albuquerque, which is at least one too many given the current market.

From what I have heard one of those shops is definatally anti internet sales to the point of berating one of their students on class.

Last edited:
Why don't we start with terminology. I venture to say that the majority of tech divers are diving for recreational purposes. So why then does the industry pretend that a tech diver is a professional? Maybe, just maybe, if the complexity artificial borders between "tech gear" and what we call "recreational gear" weren't there we would see more in dive stores? What is it actually that we don't see: backplates, doubles, and can lights I guess. A regulator is a regulator and so is a fin, a mask, and a drysuit.

And how many truly support technical diving?
Zero. There is essentially no support for tech diving at all in Albuquerque. There doesn't seem to be a TDI instructor qualified to run Intro to Tech in NM or a TDI dive center in NM.

Last edited:
There is a TDI instructor in Los Lunas I believe. I think I have his email if needed. I didn't end up meeting up with him at the time.

There is barely anyone around in NM who will do nitrox.

Why don't we start with terminology. I venture to say that the majority of tech divers are diving for recreational purposes. So why then does the industry pretend that a tech diver is a professional? Maybe, just maybe, if the complexity artificial borders between "tech gear" and what we call "recreational gear" weren't there we would see more in dive stores? What is it actually that we don't see: backplates, doubles, and can lights I guess. A regulator is a regulator and so is a fin, a mask, and a drysuit.
I think that legally all non-instructor tech divers are diving for recreational purposes. Otherwise you have all sorts of OSHA compliance, workman's comp, insurance issues, etc right?. The average shop has the gear needed to dive for golf balls in a pond, while 800 foot saturation dives needs crazy expensive specialized gear. I'm not at all sure that the stereotypical tech setup is used by commercial divers at all. Is it?

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom