SK7 end mount compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom, I'm happy to hear that Aqualung Customer Service has come through for you.
Did Megan or another Aqualung employee elaborate on the specific warranty that covers the SK-7?
More specifically, how long does the warranty extend? What kinds of problems are covered by the warranty?
Should we be able to get 5000, 500, or 50 dives out of a SK-7?
If the compass requires replacement, must the customer pay something or will it be replaced at no charge?
Is the warranty voided when transferring the compass to a Deep Sea Supply wristboot?

I think the take-home message to Aqualung/Suunto is that the compasses need to be built a little tougher.
It would be great to see this happen somehow.

I think all of your questions are valid, but I did not need to go into any great detail with Megan. In real terms, I would consider what I received was a "good-will" warranty. They indicated that a warranty would be likely (not guaranteed), sight unseen. That to me is really aggressive customer service, because there are so many unknowns. One of my students could have stepped on it when I was in the restroom for all I know. How do you put x number of dives to that? I prefer on most of my dives with my compass on a console, I don't see me using a wrist mount option for the foreseeable future, so it never crossed my mind to ask about transferring the compass to a third party boot.

I was fishing to see if there had been a change in manufacturing standards, and by the immediate response, there may have been, or at least a less than favorable response from consumers. On the other hand, Megan did indicate that Suunto worked very well with Aqua Lung. That helps everyone, & hopefully things will continue to improve.

Thanks, Tom, for your response.
Last night I dug around in my scuba closet and found the SK-7 that had the "growing bubble" problem several years ago:
5958796059_a55a3e9143.jpg

Strangely, it appears as though the very large air bubble inside the oil has stabilized. I wouldn't want to place any bets on whether it would work if I took it on a dive...or if it would leak more.
At the time I noticed the bubble, I was in a hurry getting prepped for a dive trip and I remember just purchasing a new one at the local shop. Never remembered to follow up with Aqualung/Suunto Customer Service.

Update: A new compass was delivered on Friday. Many thanks, it dove well this past weekend.

That’s great news Tom.

For all those that come across product issues, we encourage you to contact to your local retailer. If the product was purchased from an authorized Aqua Lung dealer, the problem could possibly be covered under warranty.

Thanks,

For all those that come across product issues, we encourage you to contact to your local retailer. If the product was purchased from an authorized Aqua Lung dealer, the problem could possibly be covered under warranty.
Hi, Megan. For the sake of clarification, could you please list the specifics of the warranty which covers the SK-7 compass when purchased from an authorized Suunto dealer?
In particular, I was curious about the following (which I posted previously in this thread):
More specifically, how long does the warranty extend?
What kinds of problems are covered by the warranty?
Should we be able to get 5000, 500, or 50 dives out of a SK-7?
If the compass requires replacement, must the customer pay something or will it be replaced at no charge?
Is the warranty voided when transferring the compass to a Deep Sea Supply wristboot?
Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom