Skeleton found in diving gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. They said the body was found at 200 feet... I guess that's why they didn't run up a buoy to locate the body later.

I wear dog tags. Would they last prolonged exposure in salt water conditions?

Doc Ed:
I wear dog tags. Would they last prolonged exposure in salt water conditions?

That depends. If yours are the same as the standard US DoD issue (stainless steel, no coating), then probably quite a while. They have lasted for decades in the jungle, as evidenced by continuing identification of Vietnam-era soldiers still being found today.

Most of us locals are pretty sure we know who the deceased is. They haven't announced an ID yet, but I'm pretty sure they will, soon.

Dannybot:
In my rescue class, they told us to check and test gear when victim found, even not alive, that would be reported to the authorities. So the question is not neccessarily morbid, just informational.

Say what? They told you to test the gear of a victim? Im finding this hard to believe as that would fall to the invesigators. We teach students NEVER to touch the gear of a scuba accident victim!! :shakehead:

J

What I remember from class is that the gear should indeed be left as found so that a determination of possible causality can be determined.
Nailer99, assuming the identity of the deceased is known to the locals, can you give any information regarding the disappearance of the suspected victim?

Dannybot:
In my rescue class, they told us to check and test gear when victim found, even not alive, that would be reported to the authorities. So the question is not neccessarily morbid, just informational.

Dannybot,

I strongly recommend that you go back and review this particular section of your rescue course with your instructor.

the K

danny bot ,

it is common practice not to interfere or tanpmper with a deceased divers equipment . not even to turn of their bottle . reason being that you may infact return a fault to its original state .

my thoughts to the family

Finding a body on a dive would give me a bit of the willies.

Having said that I would mark the location somehow and NOT TOUCH A THING ON OR AROUND THE BODY.

Prayers for the family of the diver.

The thing I remember about a deceased diver's gear is to "safely secure it for evidence", meaning you handle it as little as possible & this should only be done with a wittness who will sign off on it or under the direction of the authorities.

The diver was found in 205 feet by a solo tech diver. He noted where the body was and contacted Pierce County Sheriff's Department once reaching the surface. The dive team recovered the body later that day.

It has not been formally announced, but it is believed to be a diver that was lost last November. Unfortunately, there has been other divers lost at this dive site but based on what we know now, the descriptions all lead us to believe it was this diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom