Skills circuit and Kit exchange done :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nightwitch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Breathes a sigh of relief..

The skills circuit I found very frustrating as no matter how many times I had done the skill perfectly while practicing both alone and with my instructor watching as soon as it got to the assessment it all went horribly wrong...

However after some advice and more practicing I did it scoring 8 5's and 12 4's which although I am not 100% happy with I am accepting.:D

I did my kit exchange the same day and really enjoyed that...had a real laugh and got a 5:D. Funny moments were watching my instructor squeezing into my fins and the time when I handed back the reg and he just looked at it and din't take it...we were both sat there laughing....

exhausting but fun day in the pool

When we did our equipment exchange, me and another DMC, we got scolded and had to do it again. Instructor said we did not maintain "positive control" of each other. We both looked at him and said whatever, we'll do it again. Just explain what you want. Said one of us had to hold the other at all times and both had to have a hand on the second stage. So we went back down and did it but you really can't do it that way as 3 hands would be occupied and one left to work.

I think this is one thing which instructor have differing views of and by reading the instructor manual as far as I can see whatever gets your through this exercise is OK all bets are off. As long as it is safe and no one makes a bid for the surface then it is OK.
Proper buddy breathing does require each diver to have contact wit the reg, ie one diver holds the reg hose and the other holds that divers wrist. But I agree that to do that along with one hand on the diver makes it very difficult.
I have to admit that our buddy breathing technique was more along the lines of that we started off correctly but then when we got into the exchange the diver taking the breaths had the reg and the other let go to deal with kit and vice versa..at one point we both had hold of it and were just looking at it with no one taking a breath ! :) I did my exhange with m instructor as the other trainee wasn't around that day..so....

By discussing this with mine and other instructors they all agree that you both have to have a plan and stick to it but the whole idea is to deal with whatever comes up..its a stress test not really a skills test...lot of fun though...

I found the gear exchange surprisingly simple (was concerned it would not be). Of course my buddy was the same size and we had a good plan, starting by starting off in the other guy's gear. I finally passed the skills assesment also. PADI now has a video (haven't seen it--heard it wasn't great). A simple list from PADI as to exactly how to demonstrate the skills would've been extremely helpful to me, as I am a "studier" and would've been way more prepared. I had only a little trouble doffing and donning the unit when taking OW. But the OW manual explains quite well how to DO them. The DM materials did not explain details on how to DEMONSTRATE them. Some have disagreed with me about a list citing Instructors would have no leeway to add their own twists. I would submit that instructors could always add this or that and should be allowed to alter an item or two on the list according to local needs and their own preferences. Some would cite that the instructor shows you how to demonstrate them (and our's did, quite well), but my memory sucks--thus I'm that "studier". After lots of help, I nailed all the skills--more beacuse of to studying my notes, though I did practise them when possible, of course. And the important thing is that the DM can demonstrate them well.

I agree, it was a lot easier than I originally thought it would be. We too started off in each others kit and actually have made a mask discovery through that:-D
I can understand why they have resisted putting a list or video together for the reasons you mentioned. A o of variation exists in the marking of the skills circuit and i know for a fact my instructor is a notoriously harsh marker but very fair and backed this up with appropriate feedback afterward.

I found that a good study technique ( I am a studier too) was to make a list of all the critical elements of each skill and ensure that when I was practicing I hit them all.

One thing I have learnt is that no matter how sow you think you are demonstrating...do it slower

I think that these 2 parts of the DM course are very very valuable and you learn a lot while learning them..

Jo

Ps, my instructor is also my partner so not sure if he is being extra tough on me to prove a point!!!

I found the gear exchange surprisingly simple (was concerned it would not be). Of course my buddy was the same size and we had a good plan, starting by starting off in the other guy's gear. I finally passed the skills assesment also. PADI now has a video (haven't seen it--heard it wasn't great). A simple list from PADI as to exactly how to demonstrate the skills would've been extremely helpful to me, as I am a "studier" and would've been way more prepared. I had only a little trouble doffing and donning the unit when taking OW. But the OW manual explains quite well how to DO them. The DM materials did not explain details on how to DEMONSTRATE them. Some have disagreed with me about a list citing Instructors would have no leeway to add their own twists. I would submit that instructors could always add this or that and should be allowed to alter an item or two on the list according to local needs and their own preferences. Some would cite that the instructor shows you how to demonstrate them (and our's did, quite well), but my memory sucks--thus I'm that "studier". After lots of help, I nailed all the skills--more beacuse of to studying my notes, though I did practise them when possible, of course. And the important thing is that the DM can demonstrate them well.

I agree, it was a lot easier than I originally thought it would be. We too started off in each others kit and actually have made a mask discovery through that:-D
I can understand why they have resisted putting a list or video together for the reasons you mentioned. A o of variation exists in the marking of the skills circuit and i know for a fact my instructor is a notoriously harsh marker but very fair and backed this up with appropriate feedback afterward.

I found that a good study technique ( I am a studier too) was to make a list of all the critical elements of each skill and ensure that when I was practicing I hit them all.

One thing I have learnt is that no matter how sow you think you are demonstrating...do it slower

I think that these 2 parts of the DM course are very very valuable and you learn a lot while learning them..

Jo

Ps, my instructor is also my partner so not sure if he is being extra tough on me to prove a point!!!

The biggest issue about the Skill Circuit is that there is NO ONE WAY to perform a skill. For example, the performance requirements on the hover are "hover motionless for 30 seconds". That's it. So you can hover upside down, sideways, on your back, WHATEVER, as long as you do not move your hands or feet & remain (relatively) in the same position in the water column. Meet the performance requirements for the skill and you pass it.

Thus the reason why there hasn't been a video on the Skill Circuit. And why DMCs or IDC Candidates are graded on performing the Skill Circuit to DEMONSTRATION quality & whether or not the PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS have been met rather than whether or not they did the skill EXACTLY as their Instructor did it.

Agreed SM

And although I have watched my and other instructors demonstrate skills to students many times, you do develop your own way of doing the skills almost as soon as you start to practice the circuit.

I didn't realise what a hard thing it would be to develop demonstation quaity skills. Much harder than experienced instructors and DMs make it look.

I have been advised that altough I have passed the circuit to keep on practising almost until it becomes a subconsious thing..

Deffo one of the best parts of the training

PADI does have a video on skills. There is no narration so I went through and made notes on all the skills, step by step instructions. I learn better that way.

I found that listing all the critical elements to be a very good exercise too..I did show it to my instructor for a quick glance and had missed a couple of important things

PADI does have a video on skills. There is no narration so I went through and made notes on all the skills, step by step instructions. I learn better that way.

I probably would have done exactly the same had the video been out then. Nightwitch: Making my own list of the critical elements is also what I pretty much did. But again, it's a lot to remember when you are shown maybe 10 skills the first day with nothing written down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom