skin diving spots in monterey??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Monterey this weekend with the pregnant wife for our baby-moon. I wish I could get a couple dives in, since I've never dove the area. But I don't think the wife will let me go out.

However, i think I can convince her to let me putter around sight seeing a bit skin diving. So if I could get a recommendation to a spot, that'd be great.

We'll be staying about 10 min away from the Cannery Row area (not meaning we have to stay near our hotel). But a recommendation to a site with these things in mind would be great:

1) for her: a sandy/beachy/picnic spot for her to relax/nap & nearby flush toilets
2) for me: semi-protected dive spot (ie: minimal current; surge not a problem) with something to look at and maybe less kelp rather than more

Plus any advice on the dive spot would also be much appreciated (ie: any hazards, entry points, recent sightings of the landlord (aka GWS), etc)

Also, maybe a referral to a chill dive shop so I can ask about conditions once I get up there.

Thanks in advance.

Go to the Breakwater... aka San Carlos Beach

Google maps link

It's a sheltered spot that has plenty of sand to lay out on... easy access from Cannery row and fisherman's warf.

It has bathrooms nearby and conditions are usually benign.

Hazards:
  • Rocks near the middle of the beach... watch where the classes enter and exit and you'll figure out where the best entry is
  • Line Fishing on the wall... only a problem if you go along the wall.
  • Kelp Make sure your fins are taped and eliminate the snag points

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll be sure to abide by the restrictions at Lover's Cove (if I even skin dive out that way).

But yikes, Pacific Grove doesn't sound friendly to divers. I wonder what happened in the past to get such a reaction. The rules make it seem like divers were coming in droves and running amuck and trampling all over the plant life. Maybe I should be the one watching out for these hard core scuba diving hooligans. HAHAHA!!!

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll be sure to abide by the restrictions at Lover's Cove (if I even skin dive out that way).

But yikes, Pacific Grove doesn't sound friendly to divers. I wonder what happened in the past to get such a reaction. The rules make it seem like divers were coming in droves and running amuck and trampling all over the plant life. Maybe I should be the one watching out for these hard core scuba diving hooligans. HAHAHA!!!

I think it was a question of leaving Lover's #1 beach open for people to sunbathe and play in the water, without having constant interactions with novice scuba divers. San Carlos Beach (in Monterey) is much longer, and divers tend to enter at the ends so the whole middle of the beach is available for sunbathers/sand castle building etc. Lover's #2 beach is very small, floods at high tide and often has surfers nearby, in fairly shallow water with rocks. Lover's #3 beach, which is not covered by the restriction, is gravel/pebbles/rocks and exposed, so is more appropriate for diver entry and exit rather than sunbathing etc., but can be too rough for classes.

Lover's is the only dive site in PG with concessions and facilities right there, and there are similar dive sites nearby like Coral Street (albeit without facilities) that divers can go to instead during the tourist season. Since the wind usually comes up in the afternoon, restricting non-class divers to before 11:30 isn't that much of a hardship. All in all I think it's a reasonable restriction, if occasionally frustrating to spur of the moment decisions on where to dive.

Guy

I think it was a question of leaving Lover's #1 beach open for people to sunbathe and play in the water, without having constant interactions with novice scuba divers. San Carlos Beach (in Monterey) is much longer, and divers tend to enter at the ends so the whole middle of the beach is available for sunbathers/sand castle building etc. Lover's #2 beach is very small, floods at high tide and often has surfers nearby, in fairly shallow water with rocks. Lover's #3 beach, which is not covered by the restriction, is gravel/pebbles/rocks and exposed, so is more appropriate for diver entry and exit rather than sunbathing etc., but can be too rough for classes.

Lover's is the only dive site in PG with concessions and facilities right there, and there are similar dive sites nearby like Coral Street (albeit without facilities) that divers can go to instead during the tourist season. Since the wind usually comes up in the afternoon, restricting non-class divers to before 11:30 isn't that much of a hardship. All in all I think it's a reasonable restriction, if occasionally frustrating to spur of the moment decisions on where to dive.

Guy

Thanks. Didn't see this until after I came back. Unfortunately, our schedule didn't permit me to get in the water. Hopefully next time.

Back
Top Bottom