Skin peeling round mouth after diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

x1440

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been diving for 1 year now and after every dive my skin around my mouth starts to peel the next day. It's from the corner of my mouth down, the same area where the exhaust bubbles from my regulator hit my face. Is this normal? Can it be from bad air? I've been getting my tanks filled from 3 different shops but I'm still getting the peeling. It's like really bad chapped skin or a bad sun burn.

Hi x1440

No, it's not normal. I would suspect some sort of contact dermatitis or allergy. Is your mouthpiece made of neoprene?...
Black rubber? Do you wear a hood made of fabric and rubber?

Both of these would be near the mouth and could result in an allergic reaction.

If you are a male, the skin might be broken here from shaving and allow rapid entry of potential allergens.

Bad air or bubbles are not going to be the cause of the problem.

You might want to apply 1% hydrocortisone cream to the affected areas and remove any sources ofpotential allergens or friction.

Do you apply any sort of suntan cream to your face prior to the dive? Again, this could be a source of allergic reaction.

Dr Stein,

I am a male. My mouth piece is the standard one that was included with my Oceanic Gt3. I have a hooded vest with rubber round the face. I also do not use sunscreen before diving.

So OK... this is going to be like pulling teeth... :) You're a male... so you most likely shave which can irritate the peri-oral tissues (around the mouth). You use a "standard" mouthpiece with your regulator... Is it neoprene or silicone? Neoprene is typically
black with a dull surface. Silicone, on the other hand, can be clear but sometimes black and it has a shiny surface texture. If you hood is fabric only, there is no neoprene. However, if
the hood is made of "wetsuit" material, then there is neoprene under the fabric.

What I'm getting at here and the reason I have asked all the questions to to determine if you
may be coming into contact with allergen like neoprene in or around you mouth and if you have
any pre-existing irritation of the skin around the mouth prior to such contact.

Neoprene (synthetic rubber) is a rather common allergen as is latex rubber/latex allergy. Skincontact may result in a rash, itching, peeling, red/irritated skin, runny nose, red,itchy
eyes... even anaphylactic shock. The irritation you described would be common for such a
sensitivity. You might not present with the more serious symptoms.

Obviously, no one can be sure what the actual cause is at this point but a logical cause would be something that touches that part of your face where you are having the problem.

If you want to track this down, then you should try to change to a silicone mouthpiece and if
possible avoid the hood for a few dives and see if the problem disappears.

If you cannot determine if there is neoprene present then simply ask your local dive shop.

Finally, neoprene or some other allergen may NOT be the cause of your problem but you have to start eliminating the usual
suspects. You might have to have a dermatologist look into this matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom