Skydiving BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thisguy

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new here and not intending to start a flame war. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with liver cancer which was treated by surgery. After which it was discovered I had/have another condition that is guaranteed to give me colon cancer in the near future unless treated. Anyways, I'm currently in the army, and through a program for wounded/sick soldiers a few of us were sent to to our open water certifications free of charge. Obviously, faced with my owm mortality I've been knocking out the 'ol bucket list ever since. Next up is my skydiving certification. So here's my question; I know the military does para jumps into the water with rebreathers, so the next logical step for me is to combine these to things, what would the easiest bcd/rig be for such an endeavor? Do you think it's possible, good idea, bad idea? Just kinda lookin for feedback. thanks

Does a supposed flame war have anything to do with what you wish to achieve

I don't see why a para-jump/scuba dive is any sort of 'next logical step'?!?

You might want to look at some form of side-mount BCD system. Small cylinders that can be stowed on your legs (connect top clip to hip clip/bungee cylinders against thighs). Hit the water, cut the chute (you may well lose it - unless your jump is accurate enough to land you right next to surface support). Inflate BCD, descend and re-position cylinders into the proper side-mount config.

You'd be pretty unstable on the jump, probably lose the chute and would be very limited with dive sites... also would need surface support in-situ at the DZ/dive site.

Or just use whatever regular scuba gear... stored in gear bag... drop the bag on a leash after your chute opens. Once in the water and free of the chute, get into your scuba kit.

It's silliness really, but if you like to test your planning and organisational skills, my be a fun exercise, at least on paper.

Have a look at pages 36 – 37 of the book ‘South Australian Diving Fatalities 1950-2005’ which can be either viewed or downloaded from the following link - https://sites.google.com/site/cdiverepts/ for a report about a combined parachute/scuba dive where one of the skydivers drowned. BTW, I do not think any of the skydivers would have been wearing BCDs of any type as these probably were not in use in 1968 when this accident occur.

It can of course be done as it is infact done by SF, but its definetly not something I would do without a bit of experience both skydiving and diving experience..
Water landings with a parachute is by itself an increased risk as if you dont get it right you risk getting entangled and dragged down by the chute as it gets wet. Then youre adding scuba gear which potentially make your skydive more unstable than it already is in the first place which add risk of being entangled before you even hit the water..

If you want to up the ante some more, do it as a HALO jump :wink:

HAHO takes forever tho.. which I guess is fine if you jump into a scenic area with those ccr trimix caves you mentioned :D

Silly, yes. Unnecessary, yes. However it's something I'd like to try, but at this point it's only a thought experience which is why I was asking for input. The two biggest problems I see are the stabilization, as mentioned, and finding a BC that won't get in the way of the deploying chute. One BC that looks like it might work is the zeagle rapid diver. I appreciate all the replys, even if they are just jokes!

Oh, only the last sentence in my first post was a joke..

Use the search function, as I remember there was a similar discussion with input from someone who jumped with tanks.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom