Slight Trim Issue, Looking for Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a short diver, I've had some of the same issues. Things that have helped me so far are making sure the bands are as high as possible, using regs that have a bottom port for the wing inflator and back-up reg, angling the isolator valve slightly backwards so I can get my head back further, loosening the harness and taking up excess in the crotch strap (my harness is actually looser than my 6'-2" husband's!), getting a small plate and using the lower set of holes so the valves are further down.

I didn't even realize that I was compensating for being head heavy by rearing my body up, but video and pictures don't lie....I was able to be completely horizontal when I wanted/needed to, but at the expense of being able to see much in front of me. Bob Sherwood took one look at me and saw what I didn't even know I'd been struggling with for months!

AL80s really don't have that tall of a crown. Are the bands as high on the tanks as possible? Top of the band right at the break in the crown? Isolator angled optimally? (which can vary).

Bands are in proper position, isolator is angled back about 15 degrees past mid point away from my head & not the issue, and I'm diving the shorter Halcyon manifold. I also have a bit of head restriction with my Faber LP85's.

Many of the shorter women who dives doubles have similar complaints. It's not really an issue if partners stay at the same depth on ascent.

All the adjustments by instructors have created enough comfort... But I am curious if using a small plate will help, as several instructors at the convention suggested the smaller plate as a potential solution.

I have to watch to make sure the isolator knob isn't pointing forward. And this trip, I tried angling one of my Mk25s to the OUTSIDE instead of the inside (the one with the long hose on it). That made a HUGE difference.

Another thing you can try is turning your head to the side. It may allow you to snuggle the back of your head in between the regulators. That was a solution suggested by a friend who is a cave guide, and is shorter than I am.

Richard, there may not be a huge difference in neck lengths, but it is interesting that a lot of short women seem to have this particular problem.

I currently have my bands as high on the cylinders (LP108's) as can be. The isolation valve on the manifold is set at about a 45 degree angle when the cylinders are straight up. My wings are set at the center hole (may be able to go down with it a little) & my back plate is set on the bottom most hole. My regulators (MK25/ S600's) are pointed down & the bottoms to the right side. The regulator hoses come off the bottom most ports to reduce turbulence when breathing off them. The wing might be a small part of the issue (hadn't thought of that) acting like a pillow pushing my head down. I know my harness is loose because if I don't watch it, when I get to bobbing, the whole unit tends to flap up & down on my back, making the situation worse. May need to look at stretching techniques to see if that may help. Crotch strap is neither loose nor tight.

Crotch strap is neither loose nor tight.

A slightly tight crotch strap will hold the whole rig a little lower on your back. Just make sure you can still reach the valves for V drills :).

A slightly tight crotch strap will hold the whole rig a little lower on your back. Just make sure you can still reach the valves for V drills :).

I've got it about as tight as I can to be able to reach the valves.:blinking:

I'm 5'4" and just always assumed arching my back to compensate was normal. Never thought about drilling holes in my backplate. Great idea!

I moved my wing down to the lowest hole setting. That means with the cylinders I use, I have them sitting as low as they will go. This seemed to help a bit. It does throw my trim off slightly (very slightly) & makes me a tiny bit "nose heavy". I did find it much easier to follow the line in Ginnie's Big Room, where it runs a good distance along the ceiling. I still have to "porpoise" a little, but not nearly as much as before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom