Slow and easy vs hard and fast... (why the tortoise beats the hare}

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Being a relative new comer to cave diving, it's been fun to learn a number of new lessons with some new friends. Yesterday, I got to hang out in a class with Denise from Dayo Scuba as she taught two budding Cavern Divers. It was good to just get more time in my side mount rig and to get more relaxed. To be sure, my biggest obstacle with diving side mount so far has been overcoming apprehension during the dive. In fact, I was asked to accompany some peeps on a much more challenging dive, and I while I thanked them for the opportunity, I declined in favor of just getting more acquainted with the gear.

However, today was a different day and my confidence level was high. I was asked again to make a more challenging dive (two actually) and I chose the one that was within my comfort level. The plan was first to go to the Water Hole just off of P1 and connect to the rest of the system and explore a bit exiting at P1. There were three problems with this plan:

1. The water hole presented issues with getting in without injury to me or my equipment. My ankle is not %100 yet after surgery.
  2. I didn't like the idea of returning to a different point after consuming thirds.
  3. Apparently, the Water Hole has been designated as an emergency exit only by the Park.
So, then it was decided that we would simply go from P1 to the waterhole and back again. Cool. The jump was tiny (less than 5 ft) and the passageway was little travelled and a bit convoluted. The distance looked do-able so we geared up and got in the water.

There were three of us, and it was determined that I would be the middle man. Our first lead took off in a tear! I was really humping trying to keep up, and yet stay within distance of our third party. I had to stop the lead twice, but soon we were at the jump and in we went. This is where things got silty. The passage is not used nearly as much as the rest of the system. In addition, our lead guy was in a hurry and often used a flutter kick, leaving me in the dust. I could tell that I was kicking up silt too, as I am not used to moving that fast. My pressure was getting very close to thirds (turds as Denise says it) when we finally reached the Water Hole. We did a safety stop and headed for the surface.

So, the first thing I did was to apologize to our tail gunner for the silt that I caused. He brushed it off, but mentioned that we would be going back a LOT slower. The leader suggested that he was used to high flow systems and that's why he was so quick.

Now, if you haven't been in Water Hole, the first thing that hits you (literally) is the number of trees and branches between you and the cave opening. Two of us were in side mount, but our tail gunner (now leader) was in back mount. He threaded carefully through the maze and into the opening. Once in, he moved gently through the tunnel: no rush, no gaps and far less apprehension. I found myself zenning out on my breathing. This was nice. Before I knew it, we were back at the gap and heading back out to P1. Our new leader had much better control over his depth and attitude, and he stirred up no silt. Looking back, I could see that I was not stirring up anything either. Kewl.

Another safety stop and we surfaced. I used just a bit over half of my air on the return trip that I used on the trip out. Wow. I saw a ton of cave crayfish on the return. In fact, I enjoyed the return far more in every way. Here are some lessons I learned.

• Don't allow the leader to set too quick of a pace. He can slow to your pace far more easily than you can speed up to his.
  • Take time to enjoy the cave. There is no mission, except to have fun.
  • Evaluate your techniques for the environment you are diving in. Low flow caves do not need high flow techniques.

To be sure, I would dive with either of these gentlemen again. I would just be sure to keep things slow: NetDoc slow! :D

Flutter kicking in the waterhole line - not a good idea. If you plan on diving with the lead guy again - you should probably talk about goals and see if you are compatible. Heck if you don't - a take only pictures, leave only bubbles talk maybe in order. We all kick up a little silt now and again but chances are this is a modus operandi for this guy.

Also a bit curious on how familiar the party planning the dive was with Peacock - only normal entrances at Peacock are Orange Grove, P1, and P3. Not a criticism - just curious how this plan was formed.

Flutter kicking in the waterhole line - not a good idea. If you plan on diving with the lead guy again - you should probably talk about goals and see if you are compatible. Heck if you don't - a take only pictures, leave only bubbles talk maybe in order. We all kick up a little silt now and again but chances are this is a modus operandi for this guy.
As the noob of the trio, I listened far more than spoke. I asked questions rather than give answers. That would not stop me from calling the dive, but they had more experience in caves generally, and in specifically in this one.
Also a bit curious on how familiar the party planning the dive was with Peacock - only normal entrances at Peacock are Orange Grove, P1, and P3. Not a criticism - just curious how this plan was formed.
One of our party had entered there before, and another onlooker had done the same. The latter told us of the Park policy (which made sense).

In my recent Full Cave class, on one of the days, the instructor told my "buddy" (all my buddies weren't really students, but people who had volunteered to dive with me for the purposes of the class) to swim too fast. He wanted to see if I could be assertive enough to tell the leader to slow down. I had no problem with it. I've had people swim away from me my whole cave diving career. You just have to tell them to knock it off. Swimming fast isn't fun, wastes gas, and at Florida depths, sets you up for CO2 retention and increased narcosis.

Percolation is unavoidable, but silt is rarely necessary. Your leader needs to take another look at his training and his priorities.

I don't try to catch up. If someone is swimming too fast, I give the slow down signal. If it continues to happen, I'm diving solo. I breathe way too much if I go fast. I see more and go farther the slower I swim. Diving high flow systems is no excuse for swimming fast in low flow. Learn your environment and respect it.

Sometimes going fast can hide some problems. With speed you are able to constantly change trim with kicking,plus hide some bouyancy issues.

Waterhole is a sensitive passage,that doesn't provide much relief in some areas for cave divers struggling with some fundamental problems. If the person leading is going fast and disturbing silt,then it is putting the team in jeopardy,since if there is an emergency you will have to swim deeper into the cave,and faster to catch him. It is tough to thumb a dive when you are the odd man out,but sometimes getting on the surface to work out some issues will keep Murphy from visiting.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
I'd have a chat with that guy about his poor technique before doing any more cave dives with him.
glad it turned out ok!

Flutter kicking in the waterhole line - not a good idea.

Flutter Kicking in a cave is a definite No-No.:no: I don't care how 'big' the cave is. What did the instructor say about that?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom