Slow boat, all day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sallygirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I and several friends have an annual dive trip, usually in July, to Coz. We take a slow boat from the marina, that leaves 9ish, have lunch on the boat and get back 3ish. We love diving this way because we get a lot of social time with friends on the cruise out to the 1st dive site. After we get back, we hit the hotel pool, go out to dinner and early to bed. (Excitement? That is why we dive!! Nothing better.) The boat is a single operator, but seems to have contract DMs also. On this site, most people seem to use multi boat dive ops with 2 tank dives that are 1/2 day events. My questions: (1) seeking comments from those who may dive an "all day" type of boat. (2) comments re Coz's independent DM's and (3) this year we may have too many divers to be accommodated by our usual operator. Suggestions re ops who run this type of boat?

My husband and I and several friends have an annual dive trip, usually in July, to Coz. We take a slow boat from the marina, that leaves 9ish, have lunch on the boat and get back 3ish. We love diving this way because we get a lot of social time with friends on the cruise out to the 1st dive site. After we get back, we hit the hotel pool, go out to dinner and early to bed. (Excitement? That is why we dive!! Nothing better.) The boat is a single operator, but seems to have contract DMs also. On this site, most people seem to use multi boat dive ops with 2 tank dives that are 1/2 day events. My questions: (1) seeking comments from those who may dive an "all day" type of boat. (2) comments re Coz's independent DM's and (3) this year we may have too many divers to be accommodated by our usual operator. Suggestions re ops who run this type of boat?

I'm a small boat guy and don't have any big boat experience on Cozumel, but my first thought would be to contact the operator you've been using and ask if they can accommodate your group, if you haven't already. For instance, the dive op I use has multiple small boats, but if I contacted them and asked if they could get 19 of my friends and me on a big boat, they'd figure it out and would make it happen. Same goes for the other shops. Even if they don't own a big boat, they could/would rent one for your group. It would be very surprising to me if the op you've been using wouldn't find a way to get you what you want.

I don't know anything about this type of operator, but I do know one independent DM, Miguel Estrella. He used to be a DM with Dive with Martin for several years, and he was a favorite of mine - very relaxed, very good at spotting the small stuff most divers miss. You can find him through his Facebook page, he's got a very recent post with contact info. He might be able to hook you up with a boat and captain that can do exactly what you want.

We have been using Carlos from Dive Charros for the last several years. This is the exactly same diving as you have described.

Back
Top Bottom