Slow Loading?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shocked: Now you're really making me unhappy. :(

We try to answer/solve all issues ASAP. Where did we go wrong?

Lots of adds will do it everytime. I guess they gotta pay the bills on this place somehow. Customer service is usually the first thing to get kicked in the shorts!

Uh-Oh .... Now you've done it Mr. Angry Dolphin Man!!!:blinking:........:D

It's definitely slower, I get this blank white page that just hangs.

I noticed a big drop in speed when changing from a cable modem to an oddball fixed microwave tower based system when changing residence back in early October. The terrestrial microwave system (SprintBroadband Direct) is very high speed, but truly atrocious ping times. My guess is that the dramatic drop in speed has something to do with repeated back and forth exchanges between my computer and the SB server.

I've noticed slowdowns on occasion, but they are almost invariably related to communication with www.divedomain.com (i.e. the ads), at least in the time since all the server fun a while back.

On the occasions where there is an ad slowdown, the page rendering stalls sometimes for several seconds. In the status bar at the bottom of my Firefox window, you see it in the process of connecting to divedomain. Also, if you block images from that host and refresh the page, it renders as instantaneously as normal. Unblock the images, and it stalls on the ad again.

The stalls are not always present, and they vary in magnitude, but the obvious "this is beginning to annoy me" stalls always seem to come from the divedomain connections. I do not recall any actual timeouts on the ads, but occasionally that host must not be able to handle the connection rate (for what reason, it would be unwise of me to speculate).

(For point of reference, I am connecting either through a cable modem or through a higher-speed connection, and the occasional redering stalls in Firefox have been similar in magnitude and duration on a quad-core (2x2, IIRC) Xeon workstation with gigs of RAM and a single Celeron with 512MB. Others may be encountering other issues, but the stalls I'm seeing seem almost certainly to be caused by the ad server.)

I don't think it's the adds causing the slowdown. I have no adds on my screen, an it still loads very slow

Even with no ads loading it's MUCH slower than it used to be.

Threads now load bit by bit....like streaming. They used to load all at once. As I don't have the ads loading I don't think it's all to do with them - although they probably make it worse for those that do.

It's something wrong though, or not being done as it could. I'm a member of a photography forum that has about 50% more members than SB, normally at least double or triple the number of people online, and a far higher posting rate. It runs much quicker than here, even though many of the threads contain pictures. It's a vBulletin site as well. They don't really have ads though, so maybe that DOES have something to do with it.

Yeah, unfortunately the long waits kind of suck the fun out of trying to meander through different forums. Downright painful waiting for every single page to load. Man!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom