Slowing a drysuit zipper leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkdgodess

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was wearing lighter fleece yesterday and actually felt the point of entry for my leaking.

I notice a small abrasion on the fabric of the zipper, the rubber coating is wearing off on one side, and it appears coming seperated from the base fabric on the inside. The teeth still fully zip and seal. I had to look hard to see it.

What would be a good substance to put on the rubber to slow it from serperating from the backing fabric? I don't want to just starting rubbing aquaseal on it if there is something better.

It's a very slow minor leak, but I've been getting a tiny bit wet for a while, it took lighter underwear to figure out it wasn't coming down my neck.

It's $428 to replace the zipper. It's custom fit 7mm titanium neoprene suit, back entry with I've got a few hundred dives on it, it's in great shape other than this..., but I'd rather wear it out before I bite the bullet on a fushion bullet or tech....but the zipper replacement could well go to the cost a new suit.

Sikaflex-291 or similar.
Fast cure marine adhesive/sealant and bedding compound.

It's a rubber compound not just a glue that dries flexible.

I use it to install valve washers, repair knees, zippers, holes, tears etc.

Urethane is for fixing bladders, bags, bcd's etc.

Prep is imperative. Clean off all crap and lubricant then clean with thinners, abrade surface and clean with thinners.

Thank you very much. That's what I needed to know... off to find some "marine/sealant and bedding compound" ....

I have some 3M 5200 applied with one of my kids' paintbrushes I trimmed down. Both on the outer wear mark and the inner rubber seperation. It's nice because it's black. I hope it works! I've diving it on Sunday, it says tack free in 48 hours, cures in 5-7 days. It's a very thin coating, not a thick bead, so I imagine it will cure faster than a thick bead.

You do realize you can buy a replacement zipper for $135? Replace is not hard. The hardest part is going to be separating the current zipper from the suit.

I don't think I'm that do-it-yourself! I already broke my sewing maching making new weight pockets......... Maybe if there was detailed online instructions etc, but I had a hard time findout out exactly what kind of material the existing zipper is made out of so I could be sure this goop would stick.

I highly recommend the Airspeed Press dry suit maintenance and repair book. It's full of excellent information, including recommendations for adhesives for various materials, and procedures for replacement of wrist and neck seals, as well as zippers. I haven't been brave enough to do a zipper yet, but I'd probably be willing to try.

One well placed poise pad, no more problem.

Seriously, if you are so motivated the Airspeed press book is a good one to have. I had to do my old neoprene suit and full removal was not an option. I ended up coring it out using the overlay technique. Once you do the whole job the installed price may not seem all that bad.

Pete

Thanks guys. The 5200 worked great. It's sealed and flexible. I might have a try at replacing it if I already have the funds for a new suit and don't mind screwing up this one....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom