Small dive operator Key Largo or Islamorada area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmp2z

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! My husband and I will be spending 3 nights in the Islamorada area, probably (still haven't quite decided between that and Key Largo), and we're looking for a smaller dive operator. We looked at Rainbow Reef, but don't want to end up on a 30-person boat. We'd prefer 10 or fewer divers per boat, if possible, and we'd like to go with a place that includes a dive guide, since we're completely unfamiliar with the area.
I've heard that the John Pennekamp Park is a good site, as far as viewing marine life, but I've also read that it's crowded, especially since we're going during spring break. Any suggestions that you have for dive sites and dive operators that are off the beaten path but still interesting dives with good opportunities for viewing marine life would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Heather W

Try Key Largo Scubas Shack. 6 pack boat at the 97.6mm in Overseas Hwy. They do Ky LArgo and Islamorada sites. They also offer free guide and take video if you want. I have not tried but I have booked a 5 person trip with them in July. They have responded superfast to emails (with in hours). Kim, the shop mgr. is on top of things. Very helpful. They have a website hust google Key Largo Scuba Shack. They are a new operator and opened in Sep. 2010. Check them out on Tripadvisor.com.

I dove with Rainbow in December and January. We had no more than eight divers and they run a top notch shop. I highly recommend them. There boats are literally a stones throw from the new Marriott (Courtyard?) and Holiday Inn. I could've dropped my gear from the Marriott balcony into the boat:D :no:

Steve

Go with Rainbow Reef!! They are awesome and they do have a DM in the water with you if you want to follow. We are heading back down for a week in June...
Since we were there last I think they got a new boat but I don't ever remember it being crowded.
They can tell you how many people their boats hold but they are not cattle boats.
Said hi to Jesus.. he is still there and great!
Have fun...

I dove with Rainbow in December and January. We had no more than eight divers and they run a top notch shop. I highly recommend them. There boats are literally a stones throw from the new Marriott (Courtyard?) and Holiday Inn. I could've dropped my gear from the Marriott balcony into the boat:D :no:

Steve
They have dive cams now, which are pretty cool... The DM carries one on a dive, and broadcasts the actual dive live on their site (also have boat cams, and dock cams)

Said hi to Jesus.. he is still there and great!
Have fun...

You mean the underwater Christ statue?

:blessing:

:joke:

Jesus was the guide when I dove with Rainbow. He was great at pointing out things that a newbie like me would've never noticed.

Steve

Thank you for all of the suggestions! We ended up going with Key Largo Scuba Shack, since we wanted the smaller groups. I called Rainbow Reef, and they said they would have 14-30 people on the boat, depending on which boat I was put on, and that was a bit much for me.
KLSS was good, since they had no more than 6 people per boat. I would definitely recommend requesting Allie as the dive guide, if you like a guide who travels at a leisurely pace and points out marine wildlife to you along the way. That's very much our style. The boat captain is very young; he knows the spots well, but he has to be asked for help sometimes, like when you are boarding the boat after a dive.
Chris is always on hand to provide excellent service, schlepping all the heavy gear to and from the boat, rinsing it out after the dive, and letting us store our gear with them between dives. And sweet Barney the boxer is always fun to play with!
If you're looking to do some deeper dives, make sure that you request it in advance, since you may be joined by snorkelers looking for shallower areas.
Thank you again for all of the suggestions!
Cheers!
Heather W

Hi from the guys at the Key Largo Scuba Shack! Just wanted to give a great big thank you for all of the posts. We are trying our best to give the diving world great service that divers want!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom