Small FLA Keys Dive Operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aepstein

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a dive operation in the area of Key Largo or Islamorada that charters a 6 person boat?

My family will be staying in Islamorada in late July but feel the reefs in Key Largo are worth the 20 mile drive. Currently I'm considering Paradise Dive Charters but would appreciate any other suggestions who to hook up with (or stay way from!).

Alan Epstein

I highly recommend Blue Water Divers.
Great guys, good boat, very flexible.

You can check out http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/

or PM keylargobrent on this board.

Brent is a great instructor if you want to do any additional training.

I know you said a six person boat, but I have to tell you about my experiences with TWO larger boats in Key Largo. Both times, I was expecting LOTS of people and a somewhat less than personal experience, but BOTH times, there were around eight people on a boat designed for about 20-22!! PLENTY of room, lots of help and a great experience. The first outfit was Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Center, and the second outfit (last month) was Horizon Divers, next to the Ramada. I actualy did my AOW with Horizon, and there was never more than 8 people on the boat, plus crew. Plenty of room to spread out your gear and move around, and since both shops have double pontoon boats, there was much less "rocking" for those that get a little sea sick. All in all, both were excellent operations, and I would recommend either, although a simple call regarding the day you want to dive wouldbe able to tell you how many people are signed up for that trip. Enjoy.

PS: I don't work for EITHER of these dive shops (or any dive shop at all)

aepstein,

Consider this as another recommendation for Blue Water Divers. A buddy and I went to Key Largo for weekend of diving and figured we would get a chance to try out several charters. The first one was Blue Water Divers. We were very impressed with the operation and decided we didn't have to look anymore. They definately work for you the diver and are about the easiest going bunch of people I've met. I was very pleased and will definately dive them again.

-Chris "py"

PS. Charlies Run is a great dive :D

Here's another vote for Blue Water Diver's. Did two tanks on the Speigal Grove with them last week and they were a great group.

Kev

First the recommendation. Divers City in Tavernier. Check out the web site at www.diverscityusa.com. Dependent on what type of diving you're looking for, there are some important questions to ask. How many people is the boat rated for and how many will they put on? You've requested info on smaller operations and small boats have both advantages and disadvantages. Do you need a guide? Is the guide included or are you paying somewhere else for them? What level are the divers in your family? How much are you going to pay? Multi-day discounts? Nitrox availability? Experience of the crew? Flexibility of sites? Does the boat do drift dives or stay tied to a mooring ball? Will they come and get you if you have a problem? What other special needs or desires does your family have and will those be met? Cancellation policies? Do you need equipment or smaller tanks? Are you going to be limited on bottom times even on shallower sites? Just some things to think about and ask about when looking into an operation in an area you're not really familiar with. You'll recieve reviews and recommedations from all areas but the bottom line is...will your family get the type of diving you want during your stay in the Keys? Good luck and good diving!

Thanks all for the recommendations.

My post wasn't clear but the reason for looking for a small boat is because we plan on chartering the entire boat, with U/W guide.

Conch Republic in Tavernier is another operation we're looking at.

Alan

divers city in tavernier is the best outfit iv'e dove with in 15 years living in key largo. the rest, in my opinion, pale in comparison.

reefman
key largo

aepstein once bubbled...
Can anyone recommend a dive operation in the area of Key Largo or Islamorada that charters a 6 person boat?

My family will be staying in Islamorada in late July but feel the reefs in Key Largo are worth the 20 mile drive. Currently I'm considering Paradise Dive Charters but would appreciate any other suggestions who to hook up with (or stay way from!).

Alan Epstein

I personally like Dive In at mm 97 (Mandalay Resort)
http://www.diveinflkeys.com (Dawn & Joe are the owners)
Very personal service and a great six pack boat that runs 30-40 knots and doesn't make me choke on the fumes.

And Divers City is also an excellent operation. Luckily for us divers, they moved out of Gilberts at the top of the Keys. It's an uncrowded 10-pack. Bob and Barbara are the owners.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom